MBB and WBB Enter Postseason Play in NIT and WBIT

Graydon Paul (left), Brian Luppy (right)/Villanovan Photography
Both men’s and women’s basketball will enter postseason play this week.

Both Villanova basketball teams are headed for the postseason, but not in the way that either team imagined. The men’s team will make its second consecutive National Invitation Tournament appearance, while the women’s team will compete in the inaugural Women’s Basketball Invitation Tournament. 

The men (18-15 overall, 10-10 Big East) will host Virginia Commonwealth (22-13, 11-7 Atlantic 10) at the Finneran Pavilion on Wednesday, March 20 at 9 p.m. The game will be televised on ESPN2. The women (18-12, 11-7 Big East) will also host Virginia Commonwealth (26-5, 15-3 Atlantic 10) on Thursday, March 21 at 7 p.m. The game will be televised on ESPN+.

The men’s team finds itself in the NIT after playing itself off the bubble in the Big East tournament. A narrow, 58-57 first round victory over lowly DePaul made it necessary for the Wildcats to reach the final of the tournament to have a chance at an at-large bid. The ‘Cats lost in overtime, 71-65, to Marquette in the quarterfinals.

The Wildcats failed to make the NCAA tournament in back-to-back years for the first time since the 2002-03 and 2003-04 seasons.

Villanova was able to claim a No. 1 seed in the NIT, courtesy of some opt-outs from teams that missed the NCAA tournament. Pitt and Oklahoma were both among the first four out of the NCAA tournament and turned down an NIT invite. Other teams that declined invites were St. John’s, Memphis, Indiana and Syracuse. 

The No. 1 seed does mean that the ‘Cats will have an opportunity to host three more games if they can string together victories. The path to the semifinals and championship at Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis starts with VCU. 

The Rams are 14 seasons removed from their Cinderella run to the Final Four under now-Marquette head coach Shaka Smart. While the Rams have maintained some of the momentum from their run in 2010-11, making seven NCAA Tournament appearances in the past 10 seasons where a tournament was held, they have only been able to make it past the first weekend once in those appearances.

VCU finished fifth in the A-10. It was able to make it to the A-10 tournament final, but fell to Duquesne, 57-51.

The Rams have four players averaging double-figures in scoring. Senior guard Max Shugla posts 15.8 points per game, senior guard Joe Bamisile averages 13.7, senior guard Zeb Jackson averages 11.6 and graduate guard/forward Sean Bairstow averages 10. The Rams also boast the 44th best scoring defense in Division I under first-year head coach Ryan Odom, limiting opponents to an average of 66.7 points per game.

By the simple rating system, Villanova will be the second toughest opponent the Rams have faced all season, behind Iowa State. If Villanova can advance past the Rams, the ‘Cats will host the winner of No. 4 Central Florida and unseeded South Florida in a second-round matchup.

The women’s team also played itself off the NCAA tournament bubble, losing to Marquette in the quarterfinals of the Big East tournament, 50-48. A fourth-place regular season finish was not enough to secure the ‘Cats an at-large bid.

The ‘Cats were given a No. 1 seed in the inaugural WBIT. While the independently-run WNIT has existed since 1998, the WBIT is in its first year as the NCAA’s official women’s basketball counterpart to the NIT. 

The Wildcats will host VCU in the first round. The Rams placed second in the A-10 regular season with a 15-3 conference record but lost in the A-10 quarterfinals to Saint Louis, 65-63.

By SRS, the Rams have yet to face a foe as tough as the ‘Cats. 

The Rams are led by senior guard Sarah Te-Biasu, who averages 15.8 points. Sophomore guard Timaya Lewis-Eutsey posts 12.8 points and 5.1 rebounds. Sophomore guard Mary-Anna Asare is the team’s other double-digit scorer, averaging 10.5.

If Villanova advances past the Rams, it will host the winner of No. 4 Virginia and unseeded High Point  on Sunday, March 24.