Men’s Lacrosse Finishes Regular Season with Loss to Georgetown, 12–4

The Wildcats have a 8–6 overall and 2–3 conference record going into the Big East Tournament. They stand fourth in the Big East.

On Friday, April 26, Villanova hosted Georgetown in its last regular season game. The Wildcats (8–6 overall, 2–3 Big East) suffered a loss to the Hoyas (10–3 overall, 4–1 Big East) at Villanova Stadium, 12–4. 

One notable statistic before heading into the match is from graduate long stick midfielder Stephen Zupicich. Zupicich currently sits atop the NCAA Division 1 leaderboard for caused turnovers and caused turnovers per game. 

Senior attack Matt Licata started the game off with a goal to put Villanova up, 1-0. 

Georgetown responded with two goals, to put the Hoyas ahead, 2-1. 

Redshirt freshman attack Colin Michener sent one to the back of the net, tying the game. 

The Hoyas added another to the scoreboard with five minutes left in the period. 

The first period ended with a Georgetown goal, making the score 4-2. 

Georgetown opened the second period with a goal, extending their lead.

Following a Villanova timeout, the Hoyas continued their momentum, scoring two more goals. 

After a Villanova scoring drought, Licata added another to his name, making the score 7-3. 

Georgetown responded with five minutes left in the half. 

The first half ended with a Georgetown goal, sending the Cats’ into the locker room down, 9-3. 

The Hoyas were the first to score in the third period with thirteen minutes left. Georgetown scored again with one second left in the period.

The fourth period began with another goal from the Hoyas, extending their lead by 9 goals.

No. 4 seed Villanova will host the Big East Tournament on Thursday, May 2 against No. 1 seed Denver at 5:30 p.m.