Field Hockey Losses Twice Over Weekend

Field Hockey Losses Twice Over Weekend

Giuliana Black, Staff Writer

This past weekend, Villanova field hockey sustained losses to Monmouth University and the University of Pennsylvania.  

On Friday, Sept. 10, the team traveled to West Long Branch, NJ to play the Hawks, who were ranked No. 22 in the nation coming into the game, and dropped a 4-3 overtime decision. 

At the end of the first quarter, the Hawks scored, bringing the game to 1-0 into the second quarter. About halfway through the second quarter, freshman midfielder Emma Schwarz took a penalty corner shot that was tipped into the goal by senior midfielder Rachael Overlander to tie up the game.   

Halfway through the third quarter, Monmouth gained an advantage with a goal off a penalty corner set. The Hawks overpowered the Wildcats on penalty corner sets by 9-3 at the finish of the game.  

The Wildcats gained momentum in the fourth quarter when they scored two goals with 10 minutes left in the game. Junior Caitlin Van Goeverden made an assist to sophomore forward Amanda Middleman, who scored the third goal.  Shortly after sophomore back player Sabine de Ruijter was rewarded with a penalty shot that put Villanova in the lead heading into the end of the match.  

With only five minutes left in the game, Monmouth tied up the score and the teams went into overtime.  Less than two minutes into overtime, the Hawks scored and secured the win.  

Although the Wildcats lost, senior goalie Jordan McGinley had her record-high saves in a game since 2019. The Hawks had 18 shots, 12 being on goal, and McGinley saved eight of them.  

On Sunday, Sept. 12, the Wildcats dropped a 2-0 home decision to Penn. The Wildcats let in a goal only five minutes into the first quarter. The Quakers continued with strong defense, only letting the Wildcats get four shots, with just three being on goal. They kept up their momentum and scored again at the beginning of the second quarter, making the score 2-0.  

Sophomore forward Meghan Mitchell and Ruijter were the only two players to take shots on the Quaker goal, along with senior midfielder Katie Capalbo, who had the only other shot of the game. With two minutes left in the game, the Wildcats pulled McGinley from the goal and Ruijter made a save to keep the score 2-0.

The Wildcats have lost their last three games, making their season record 2-4. Their next game is a Big East matchup on Friday, Sept. 17 at 5 p.m. at home against Providence, which is 4-2. After that, the Wildcats have another home game against La Salle University, which is also 4-2.