Trump takes office, students nervous

Matt Walker

On Friday, Donald Trump became the 45th President of the United States, and I walked around the Connelly Center to understand how students felt about the new administration. Reactions toward the political scene were mostly negative, though for different reasons.

Some, like Kasey Lynch, were disappointed about topics from the cabinet confirmation hearings to  President Trump’s conduct on Twitter. Echoing this complaint, Patrick Monagle said, “I don’t want him to be Twitter in Chief.” Reactions against Environmental Protection Agency Director nominee Scott Pruit and Education Secretary nominee Betsy DeVos were particularly strong because of the impression that the nominees are against the department they have been nominated to serve.

Others took issue with statements by Trump during his campaign. Julia Vanzelli felt that all of the allegations made against Trump during his campaign had tainted him. Michael Bubnick had hoped that Trump would become more moderate after the campaign and would apologize for and withwdraw harsh comments against immigrants and Muslims.

And some, like Samantha Faust, were disappointed with how people have been reacting to Trump’s election despite admitting that she is scared of the change, she said that “we need to come together and support him.” Similarly, Ryan Schnabel was disappointed that Trump is not being given a chance by some public figures who criticize him, even if that criticism is legitimate. On the other hand, some students, like Justin Giacobbe, hoped that divisiveness in the country is solved by everyone uniting as a people against Trump.

Looking toward the future, many thought, like Andrew Newell, that it was possible or likely the economy would grow stronger under the new administration. And some, like Sterling Pierce, hope that the nation’s health care system can retain the benefits gained under the Obama Administration and improve under the Trump Administration. Even if they did not have anything specific to be hopeful about, most students seemed intrigued or interested in the change that Trump will bring. Although I did not talk to anyone who was completely enthusiastic about the future under President Trump, many, like Dominic Williams, were open-minded or at least, like Courtney Davis, hopeful it will not be as expected.