A Senior’s Final Move Out

Sarah Sweeney
Sarah’s senior apartment, complete with countless collectables from her time at Villanova.

I moved into an empty dorm room in St. Monica’s Hall almost four years ago. Since then, I have collected things: books, postcards, calculators and primarily random Villanova t-shirts I only wear to bed. In two weeks, I will move out of my Dobbin Hall senior-year apartment, leaving the walls as bare as when I first arrived on this campus as a freshman. Only now, I’ll have some stuff to bring home with me. Below are some of those things. 

A Villanova Cloth Face Mask: Although tempting to throw away all pandemic-related gear, it is sometimes amusing to reflect on freshman year and how different Villanova was. I’ll always treasure the friends I made this year and the countless times we spent a Friday night walking to Hope’s Cookies – although I can’t say I would go back. 

Aristotle’s Nicomachean Ethics: A remnant of my Ancients and Philosophy classes, Aristotle wasn’t exactly light reading, but he wasn’t wrong, either. The most impactful thing I took from him was the concept of “Friendships of the Good,” or friendships based upon respect, an appreciation of each other’s virtues and a desire to help each other succeed. I am so lucky to have found some of those friendships here at ‘Nova. 

The Villanovan: Final Four Edition: Not only have I written front-page articles, but I have also physically appeared on the front page, giving a thumbs down, along with my soon-to-be best friend Fiona, as I watched ‘Nova lose its 2022 Final Four game to Kansas from the student section in New Orleans. While it was a disappointing loss, I never felt more a part of the Villanova community than that game. 

27 Postcards: I made one of the best decisions of my college career during the spring of my junior year and studied abroad at Trinity College Dublin. Not only did I make some amazing friends, from both ‘Nova and elsewhere (shoutout Guinness Babies), but I had the opportunity to visit some incredible cities across Europe. I have postcards from each place I visited.

A Liberty Bell-Shaped Philadelphia Half Marathon Medal: I had never run a singular mile before college. Inspired by my friends and needing a new hobby, I began going on three-mile runs my freshman and sophomore years. For some crazy reason, I thought that meant I could do 13 miles and signed up for the Philly Half Marathon in the Fall Semester of 2023. I completed it on my 20th birthday (and celebrated with brunch afterwards). 

My 21st Birthday Scrapbook: Easily the best gift I’ve ever received, my best friend Liz handcrafted a scrapbook, with birthday notes and pictures from both friends and family – even managing to track down some in Ireland. It is something I will treasure forever.

Philadelphia Bookstore Map: Although Villanova isn’t widely considered to be a “Philly school,” one of my favorite parts about my time here has been the opportunity to fall in love with the city of Philadelphia. From Penn’s Landing to bars and restaurants to bookstores, Philadelphia has so much to offer. This is a map I acquired on a Philly Bookstore Crawl (my favorite spot is the Book Trader in Old City).

“The Spanish Tragedy” Playbill: It wasn’t until this year that I discovered the wonder that is Villanova Student Theater and how I regret not discovering it earlier. The ability to see an incredibly well-done two-plus hour-long production for only $10 is one of those college things you don’t fully appreciate until you’re moving to New York in two months and theater tickets begin at $100. In all seriousness, from VST productions to the Dance Company’s Showcase to the WXVU’s Music Fest to Wildcat Thrift, there are so many incredible events that happen on campus, and I only wish I could take part in more. 

The Villanovan Hoodies: Last, but certainly not least, where would I be without The Villanovan? After becoming a News Editor my freshman year, The Villanovan became not only the student organization I devoted most of my time to, but my favorite thing about Villanova. From the opportunity to interview some incredible changemakers on campus to meeting some of my best friends, The Villanovan is really what made Villanova feel like home for me. 

When everything is packed up and I must face the bare walls again, I will be comforted by the knowledge that I didn’t just collect items throughout my four years here. I collected ideas, memories, friendships, experiences, knowledge – and those things last forever.