Spring season sports update

Courtesy of Villanova Men’s Lacrosse

Wyatt Noble

Men’s Lacrosse

Expectations were high for the Men’s Lacrosse team this spring, but their season got off to a disappointing start with three straight losses. Despite this rough start, they bounced back and now sit at 8-5 overall.  Graduate Student captain Jack Curran’s record-setting season continues to push the Wildcat’s to new heights and the team are now ranked 15 in the country heading into their final regular season game on April 29 at Providence. Curran has scored a school record 42 goals so far for the Wildcats this season and scored a school record eight goals in one game during the Wildcats recent victory over St. John’s. With one game remaining, the Wildcats will look to finish strong and compete for the BIG EAST Championship with berth in the NCAA tournament looking likely.

Women’s Lacrosse

It’s been a tough season for the Wildcats. They currently sit at 3-12 overall with one regular season game left to play, but the future is bright for this team. The team’s top performers this season are all underclassmen. Freshman Katie Comerford leads the team in goalscoring with 37 so far, and is tied with Sophomore Devon Brown for most assists. The two have dished out a joint team high 13 assists so far this season. Sophomore Jillian Swikart is currently the team’s second highest goalscorer with 25 goals to her name, and is followed closely by freshman Kim McDonough, who currently has 24. With an exceptional young core, the Wildcats should be a force to be reckoned with for seasons to come. 

Baseball 

Despite their losing record, the Wildcats have plenty of time and games left to turn their season around. They currently sit at 8-23 overall and fifth in the BIG EAST with a 2-4 record in conference play. While the team will graduate its top pitcher and batter after this season concludes, only about half of their roster is comprised of seniors and juniors. The rest of the roster is mix of promising freshmen and sophomores who give Head Coach Kevin Mulvey a solid base to build upon in the coming seasons.

Track and Field

It’s been a solid season for the Wildcats who placed eighth out of 45 in the Colonial Relays that took place in early April. The Colonial Relays was the team’s most recent event, in which they were scored as a team and was the team’s best collective performance to date aside from a second place finish at the BIG EAST Championships in late February. However, this team’s season is far from over. Next the Wildcats will compete in the famous Penn Relays this coming weekend from the 27 through the 29. After the Penn Relays, the team will head into NCAA EAST Preliminary competition to try and secure a place in the NCAA Championships. The Wildcats will look to carry their momentum from recent events into the Penn Relays and then onto the big time at the NCAA Championships.