2022 Brendan Hausen Commits to Villanova

Courtesy of Zagsblog

Hausen is the second member of the class of 2022 to commit to Villanova, joining Mark Armstrong.

Anders Pryor, Staff Writer

Villanova secured its second commitment of the class of 2022 on Monday night, as highly regarded guard Brendan Hausen announced that he would be joining the program. Hausen, a four star recruit out of Amarillo High School, followed fellow 2022 four star guard Mark Armstrong in joining the Wildcats. 

Hausen announced his commitment with a post on Instagram Monday night, saying “Just want to thank God, my family, and friends. I’m all in! Nova Nation let’s rock!!”

Hausen, a 6’5” 180 lbs shooting guard, is one of Texas’s finest prospects this year, finishing top five in state for his position by virtually all major recruiting metrics. He is a product of the prestigious Team Griffin AAU program in the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBL). On August 31st, the Amarillo native narrowed down his 23 collegiate offers to five: Villanova, Oregon, Oklahoma, Arizona State and Texas Tech, and he chose to join Jay Wright’s program less than two weeks after taking an official campus visit. 

Hausen averaged 17.6 points a game in his junior season for the Amarillo Sandies, while dishing out 96 assists and knocking down 90 shots from behind the three point line. In that season, not only did he lead his team to the Class 5A state semifinals, but also solidified himself as the Amarillo High School all time leading scorer, all before taking a single shot in his senior season. 

In an interview with Zagsblog, Hausen said, “I’m a high-volume shooter, but I’m a veryunderrated passer and I like to get my teammates involved. I have a high-IQ. I’mnot the fastest, the strongest or the biggest, but what I lack there, I make up for with my IQ andmy skill.” 

Hausen’s fit into Jay Wright’s roster will be an interesting one. With Colin Gillespie in his final season and Justin Moore and Caleb Daniels now both falling into upper-classman territory, the future of the Wildcat backcourt needs reinforcement, and head coach Jay Wright has taken steps to solidify the position by adding Hausen, Armstrong, and current freshman Angelo Brizzi. Much of Hausen’s role early on in his Villanova career will depend on the trajectory of Justin Moore and whether or not Moore intends to attempt a shot at the NBA or use his extra year of eligibility. If Moore is on the roster next season, Hausen will be able to be mentored by him, much like Brizzi will be able to do so from Gillespie this year. 

In the event that Moore accepts his extra year of eligibility, then Hausen would likely not get a starting opportunity until his junior year at Villanova. Until then, he and Armstrong would likely share time as the official bench backcourt.

Hausen’s commitment moves Villanova’s 2022 class to 22nd in 247Sports.com team rankings.

Villanova’s 2022 recruiting class likely isn’t finished, as five star wing Cam Whitmore is the main target left on the board for Wright. Whitmore visited campus over Parents Weekend, and a decision is expected soon out of a final three of Villanova, Illinois, and North Carolina. The addition of Whitmore would likely complete the class and move Villanova up to 7th in the 247Sports 2022 recruiting class rankings.