Eight Former Athletes Inducted Into Hall of Fame

Tyler Kemp

This past Saturday, Villanova University and its Athletics Department held the annual Villanova University Varsity Club Hall of Fame Dinner and all of the honorees were introduced to the Wells Fargo Center earlier today during halftime of the Villanova Men’s Basketball game against Georgetown. In addition to honoring the hall of fame inductees, Villanova Athletics also gave out the Jake Nevin Special Recognition Award. Here’s a look at all of the honorees from Saturday night and the highlights from their athletic careers as Wildcats:

Maddy Crippen (Women’s Swimming & Diving, ‘03)

Throughout her four years of being a member of the swimming & diving team, Maddy Crippen achieved more than anyone could ever imagine. Crippen was an eight-time All-American selection, as well as a 10-time Big East Champion. She also won an NCAA National Championship in the year 1999 in the 400-yard medley. Along with holding Villanova and Big East Conference records, Crippen took her talents worldwide and finished sixth in the 400 Individual Medley in the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia. 

Maria Dibernardi (Softball Coach, 1984-2018)

When she retired following the 2018 softball season, coach Maria Dibernardi had the most wins for a coach in Villanova athletics history, swith an astounding 880 victories. Throughout her tenure, coach Dibernardi stressed the importance of being a student-athlete to her squads as she produced more than 300 Big East Conference All-Academic selections. Her players excelled not only in the classroom, but on the softball diamond as well as coach Dibernardi had 77 All-Big East Conference selections, 28 All-Region selections and led the ‘Cats to 17 Big East Tournament appearances. Dibernardi’s teams had 12 seasons with 30+ wins which includes three years of 40+ wins in a season. 

Brian Fili (Baseball, ’97)

Brian Fili enjoyed a very successful career on the baseball diamond for the Wildcats. He finished his career with a batting average of .300 and an impressive resume to boot. He was a first team All-Big East Conference selection in 1995 with a .325 batting average, 67 runs scored, 46 walks and 22 stolen bases to help guide Villanova to a 40-win season and a Big East Tournament appearance. Fili holds the school record for highest stolen base success rate at a high clip of 87.1 percent, and ranks top five in categories such as walks, stolen bases and runs scored. Fili was an instrumental piece to Villanova baseball making three consecutive conference tournament appearances from 1995-1997, including a Big East championship appearance in his senior year.

Trish Juhline (Women’s Basketball, ’03)

Trish Juhline is heralded as one of the greatest players in Villanova women’s basketball history. Until this season, Juhline held the record for most three pointers made in a career by a Wildcat, a record that was broken by current senior guard Adrianna Hahn this past Friday. She is third in school history with 1,659 career points. Juhline was a back to back first team All-Big East selection in back to back years during her junior and senior seasons. As a senior, Juhline led her ‘Cats to a 2003 Big East conference championship and was awarded Big East Championship MVP for her performance. That same Wildcats squad made an Elite Eight appearance in the NCAA Tournament and Juhline was drafted in the third round of the WNBA Draft by the Washington Mystics following her illustrious career.

Liz Lauwaert (Women’s Swimming & Diving, ’99)

Liz Lauwaert was nothing short of amazing during her four years as a Villanova swimmer. Lauwaert was a decorated swimmer as she was a 10-time Big East Champion and a member of eight relay teams that won Big East championships. The 400-yard freestyle relay she was a member of won Big East titles four years in a row. Upon her graduation, Lauwaert was a record holder individually in the 100-yard butterfly and the 100-yard freestyle. She was also a part of two relay teams during her career in the 400-yard freestyle relay and the 800-yard freestyle relay.

Brian Marks (Men’s Lacrosse, ’03)

Brian Marks was an embodiment of Villanova men’s lacrosse during his career as a student-athlete. In terms of statistics, he started 57 out of 57 possible games during his career and posted 85 goals, 114 assists, 199 total points and 227 shots. His 114 assists is the most all-time by any Villanova men’s lacrosse player ever, and his points total of 199 currently ranks at third amongst all players. The 2003 season was the best for Marks in terms of accolades as he was named a USILA honorable mention All-American selection as well as CAA Player of the Year. In the same season, Marks was a first team All-CAA selection and a USILA North/South All-Star Game selection. Later after that 2003 season, Marks was selected as a USILA Scholastic All-American for his excellence in the classroom.

Gary Massey (Men’s Basketball, ’89)

Gary Massey is recognized as one of the best defenders in Villanova men’s basketball history, and the numbers and accolades back it up. Massey was selected as the Big East Defensive Player of the Year in the 1988 season and in that same year, he set a record for most steals in a single game with nine pickpockets against Providence. His 204 career steals still rank third all-time in school history. During his junior season, Massey was the starting shooting guard for the 1987-88 ‘Cats that made an Elite Eight appearance in the NCAA Tournament.  

Kevin Rogerson (Golf, ’91)

Kevin Rogerson’s golf career at Villanova was a tale of consistency. In three out of his four seasons (sophomore, junior and senior year) as a golfer, he led the ‘Cats in stroke average. Rogerson was also a member of the 1990 Big East championship team and helped Villanova to second place finishes in 1989, 1990, and 1991. As an individual golfer, Rogerson won a Big East championship in 1989 and finished sixth overall at the 1990 conference championship. At the West Chester Invitational during the 1989 season, Rogerson was an individual medalist at the event and finished as the top Villanova golfer in 28 out of 47 tournaments played during his final three seasons.

Father John Stack, O.S.A. (Jake Nevin Special Recognition Award)

Father John Stack has been in and around Villanova University since his time as a college student. Father Stack graduated with an undergraduate degree in sociology from ‘Nova in 1971 and earned his Masters Degree in Secondary Counseling from Villanova in 1977. In between those years of his two degrees, he became an ordained Augustinian priest in May 1974. Following his academic career, Father Stack transitioned into an administrative role at his alma mater. He served as Dean of Students form 1982-1999 and was promoted to role of Vice President of Student Life in 1999, a role he still assumes to this day. Father Stack was awarded the Jake Nevin Special Recognition Award for his leadership on Villanova’s campus as well as for being a Villanova Athletics Enthusiast.

(All statistics courtesy of Villanova Athletics)