Thank You for Another Fruitful Semester Readers, Onward and Upward!

Board Editorial

The Villanovan is more than a newspaper staff.  It is a family. The editor positions are temporary, but the bonds made in the basement of Corr will last a lifetime.  

It warmed our collective heart to see the Save Student Newsroom movement last week.  As a newspaper, we have tried to stay with the times, even moving to a more digital format for distribution. We are active on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, and we upload articles onto the Villanovan website for readers worldwide to access. Despite these efforts, most of the pride that we gather from participating in the newspaper comes from our production of physical issues.

We do our best to produce the highest quality newspaper that we can every single week. Some of us hope to parlay this experience, along with other activities ,into media careers. However, most of the editors will not end up pursuing careers in journalism and are participating for the love of the game. Sure, writers and editors alike benefit from the extra writing reps, but most participating students leave each Tuesday production meeting pleased with the tangible product seen around campus 20 Thursdays a year.  They see value in the product.

While there are not any signs that The Villanovan will be closing its doors anytime soon, it is far from a guarantee that The Villanovan will endure in perpetuity.  Newspapers are dying all over the country. Obviously, we see the value in the paper, but we hope others do as well. The paper is at its best when it sparks conversation and even debate across campus, like it has several times this year.

Not to toot our own horn, but we are proud of the work that we accomplished in the 2018-19 school year, and hope to only improve in the coming school year. Thank you for reading and providing your feedback.