Fall Sports Preview

Jeremy Goldberg

Women’s 

Field Hockey:

Despite going 9-10 last season, look for this experienced team to make some noise. With twenty players returning, including the three highest goal scorers on the team: Megan Vermeil, Lydia Sydnor and Abby Siana. 2019 should be an improvement. They’ve started the season 1-1 and will play Wagner College on Friday at 6 p.m.

Volleyball:

The Wildcats will be looking to continue their recent run of success by making the Big East tournament for the third year in a row. Villanova volleyball returns five starters, led by senior setter Emma Decker looking to improve on her 1,117 assists last season. The ‘Cats have started the season 5-1 and will take on Yale on Friday at 1:30 p.m. in Los Angeles. 

Soccer: 

After going 9-9 and recording the most wins since 2012, women’s soccer is looking to keep last season’s momentum going. The Wildcats are returning all 11 starters, including All-Big East Second Team senior midfielder, Kristin Barbour. They have started the season 3-2-1 with a recent 3-0 win over Temple. They will host Florida State on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.

Cross Country:

Women’s cross country, like the men’s team, is set to begin the season at the Main Line Invitational, Sept. 20. They will compete twice more before the Big East Championships take place in November. A pair of sophomores are poised for big seasons for the Wildcats. Lydia Olivere finished as the Big East runner-up in the steeplechase during her freshman campaign before one-upping this performance by taking gold in the same event at the Pan American U20 Championships this past summer. Reilly Siebert joins Olivere as one of the team’s top runners. Seibert was a five-time All-Big East performer during her freshman season including being named to the All-Big East second team in Cross Country.

Men’s

Football:

After starting last season 3-1, the Wildcats went on a four-game losing streak and ended the season 5-6. As we look toward the 2019 campaign, the Wildcats will have a new man under center, graduate transfer Daniel Smith, and two new offensive coordinators. So far, the ‘Cats have gotten off to a 2-0 start with wins over Colgate and Lehigh. They will play on the road at Bucknell at 6 p.m. on Saturday.

Soccer:

Unfortunately, one of the bright spots from last year’s 7-8-1 campaign is no longer with the team. Midfielder Zach Zandi, who led the team in goals and points last season, signed a professional deal with Bethlehem Steel FC. This is part of the reason the team was picked to finish last in the BIG EAST coaches’ preseason poll. Nonetheless, the Wildcats are looking to return to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2016, as they return a number of key players, such as junior goalkeeper, Carson Williams and senior defenseman, Shane Bradley. They’ve started the season 4-0-0 and have yet to allow a goal yet. The ‘Cats are set for a Friday road game against Fordham at 7 p.m.

Golf

A total of six tournaments populate the fall schedule for Villanova’s 2019-2020 golf team. It is a slate highlighted by the team’s home event, the Wildcat Invitational Sept. 30 – Oct. 1, as well as the always competitive, Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate, Oct. 11 – 13. Villanova’s youthful roster features two freshmen and four sophomores. The team is captained by its only two upper classmen, junior Reb Banas and redshirt-senior, Mark Benevento. In its first event of the season, Villanova placed 10th out of 18 teams at the Alex Lagowitz Memorial Invitational. 

Cross Country

The men’s cross country team is scheduled to compete in four events in the 2019 fall season before post season competition commences at the Big East Championships in Kenosha, WI on Nov. 2. The team is led by senior duo of Casey Comber and Andrew Marston. Comber is a four-time All-American and nine-time Big East champion. Marston is a two-time individual NCAA qualifier in cross country and a nine-time All-Big East honoree.