Villanova Recognized Sexual Assault Awareness Month

Lauren Armstrong
Student organizations came together to recognize Sexual Assault Awareness Month.

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, and both University-run offices and student organizations came together to recognize and show support for those who this month represents. S.A.P.A., the Title IX Office, the Office of Health Promotion and multiple other organizations hosted events ranging from movie viewings to various interactive events.

“My favorite event was our Sexual Assault Response Panel,” Hope Frantz, outgoing President of S.A.P.A., said. “For this panel, our social events coordinator, Aly Sivinski, coordinated different speakers to come and speak at our event. Our panelists were Professor Gwendolyn Morris, Title IX Coordinator Ryan Rost and Delaware County Victim Assistance Center Representative Candice Linehan. The panelists spoke on their area of knowledge that relates to sexual assault, such as what happens after a case, how hospital visits go and different support systems on can utilize. All of the panelists demonstrated such awareness, respect, empathy and empowerment. It was a very moving conversation and presentation, I was so content that we planned it.” 

In addition to panels, events such as Denim Day were hosted and participated in by a variety of different on campus organizations throughout campus. Denim Day, hosted internationally annually on the last Wednesday of Sexual Assault Awareness Month, is a movement which aims to combate people blaming victims for sexual assault. 

“We participated in Denim Day due to the deep connections it has with our philanthropy, which is to combat violence against women,” sophomore Nadia Balduf, member of Sigma Psi Zeta, said. “It is so critical that we help spread awareness, both on and off campus, in order to show our support and belief towards victims.”

Sexual Assault Awareness Month is one that is deeply important, and the resources on campus aimed to help make sure students know who and where they can allocate the help available on campus. Students can find Title IX Coordinator Ryan Rost located in Tolentine 207, Public Safety in Garey Hall and the Office of Residence Life in the basement of Stanford Hall. All of these University-run offices can be utilized by students, and so can student organizations such as S.A.P.A. Students can also utilize organizations such as the Delaware County Victim Assistance Center for off campus support. 

“From starting S.A.P.A., I know our organization has connected with many students,” Frantz said. “We want our organization to be a safe and comfortable student-run outlet for individuals with any history or background to come to us. From hosting events to having our executive board members always having time daily to connect with individuals looking for peer support, we have touched many Villanova hearts. Our organization that started as eight individuals in the Spring Semester of 2023, has now grown to over 220 members, with more joining daily. Our organization has raised over 500 dollars for various charities and organizations and does so much good work for others. I hope S.A.P.A. is always an on campus organization that students can participate in and help others through.”