Villanova Celebrates Admitted Students Day

Victoria Margenat
Admitted students and their families enjoy complementary Wawa on Mendel Field during the day.

On April 13, hundreds of prospective students and families came to visit campus to decide if Villanova would become their home for the next four years. Admitted Students Day is an opportunity for deciding and committed students to come to campus for the day and partake in tours, watch panels, visit the activities fair and meet other incoming students. 

This year, Admitted Students Day looked a little bit different than it has in the past, in order to gauge more interest and help make the decision easier for the incoming students. This initiative was led by Admitted Students Day Director Hannah Phillips and Junior Director Tyler Moore. 

“It is a surprise to admitted students, but all the members of Blue Key make posters and welcome them to Villanova through a spirit line outside the Finn when they begin to arrive in the morning,” Phillips said. “Father Peter then gives a welcoming speech, and the day truly begins. We have an involvement fair outside in the quad, a resource and majors fair and a variety of panels throughout the day. We are very excited to be having a meet and greet with the basketball team, as well as implementing a day-long scavenger hunt that prospective students can participate in. We overall are just excited to welcome the Class of 2028.”

Phillips recalled how her own Admitted Students Day was when she decided Villanova was home for her.

“I had a really early Admitted Students Day. It was actually on Valentine’s Day,” Phillips said. “That was when I decided to call Villanova home. This is truly a full-circle moment, and it shows that you cannot truly know Villanova until you step foot onto its campus.”

While the members of Blue Key, Villanova’s tour guide organization, do make up a significant amount of the day, any current Villanova student has the opportunity to become involved in Admitted Students Day.

“Admitted Students Day is such a pivotal moment for anyone who comes to visit Villanova,” Moore said. “It is also really cool because Blue Key is such an important factor throughout the day, but anyone can participate through speaking to families, volunteering with their major or on campus organizations or simply just walking through campus and seeing the incoming students.”

Blue Key President Harrison Jenkins shared more about the dedication of Villanova students.

“We have over 110-plus student run organizations that will be speaking and dedicating their Saturday to engage with these incoming students,” Jenkins said. “It is amazing how passionate these current students are, not only about their clubs, but about Villanova as a whole.” 

Admitted Students Day has effects much longer than just the day-of. For many current students, the families that visited for Admitted Students Day will be back in August for move-in day, and Class of 2028 will be recognized as individuals current students spoke to back in April.

“I remember seeing a guy who I spoke to on Admitted Students Day, and I then [saw] him during orientation that following August,” Phillips said. “It is amazing seeing the work that everyone put in and seeing their whys and that every prospective student has the best experience on campus, influencing them to go ‘Nova.”

In addition to the traditional Admitted Students Day, on April 19, the VUnited Scholars program will be hosting its Admitted Students Day, welcoming eight new students into the program. 

Lauren McLaughlin, President of the VUnited Scholars Program, shared more about the day and the program for those who are unfamiliar.

“The VUnited Scholarship program is a two-year residential program for scholars with disabilities to help them make connections and friendships, while gaining a degree through the College of Professional Studies,” McLaughlin said. “This program was first introduced during the 2021-22 academic year, when I was a sophomore. The students live in St. Mary’s and are able to have a college experience.”

This Admitted Students Day will consist of meeting the current students in the program, as well as experiencing panels of current VUnited students, program mentors and students, as well as current parents who will attest as to how the program has positively influenced their students’ lives.

“I am very excited to meet everyone,” McLaughlin said. “I am excited to share why I love Villanova, and hope to help ignite their love in the University. I am excited to show my favorite parts of campus and how the current scholars have connections on campus and how many opportunities there are at Villanova for them.” 

For all students, Admitted Students Day is a time on campus where the community comes together to share their love for ‘Nova. From waking up at 4:30 a.m. to sharing their passions and why they decided to declare different majors or joining certain organizations, the dedication of each Villanovan is highlighted. Class of 2028, welcome to Villanova. The community cannot wait to see how new students will make a difference on campus throughout their academic careers.