Villanova Needs More Study Spaces

Most people describe the community of Villanova as the greatest part of the Villanova experience. To foster this community, however, people need spaces to socialize and further these relationships. The size confinements of many of the dorms on campus do not allow for meaningful gatherings where friend groups can converse or complete work in a way that is comfortable for all. And while the Connelly Center currently serves as the center of many of these gatherings on Villanova’s campus, the limited seating hinders many from spending a lot of time there. 

So, while there are spaces where individuals can spend time with friends, with a current undergraduate population of around 6,700 students, Villanova should provide more options for places that can serve as true “student centers.” Luckily, with the expansion of a new library, to be named Vic Maggitti Hall, the current Falvey Library serves as a perfect place to create this space. 

Villanova claims it prides itself on offering spaces that meet the diverse academic and social needs of its student body. Currently, the main space that provides this energy is the Connelly Center, more affectionately referred to by students as “Conn.” Conn is defined on Villanova’s website as “the campus’s cultural, social, recreational, religious and co-curricular center.” It is a place where many students find themselves spending a considerable amount of their days, enjoying the camaraderie and the lively atmosphere it offers. However, the environment in Conn is reminiscent of that of a dining hall. So, while it is conducive to fostering social interactions, it may not always be the ideal setting for academic work requiring more focus, like group projects. 

With this, there is a growing consensus that Villanova could benefit from providing more on-campus study spaces. The current library serves as a traditional silent space, making it an ideal location for solo work. However, it might not suit all types of study needs. Introducing an alternative space (in the space currently occupied by Falvey) that combines the quiet focus of a library with the social flexibility of Conn could help students focus and increase academic success.

Many students have a certain repetitiveness within their days. Because many are always completing work in Conn, in addition to eating there, it can become quite a monotonous environment after a while. In specific instances where students need motivation to get through a long study night, a new space could potentially provide new energy which could foster fresh ideas. It could also allow students to collaborate on projects or study in a less formal atmosphere without the pressure of maintaining the complete silence fostered in a traditional library setting. 

So, while Conn is a great environment for a majority of students and is described by many as their “favorite spot” on campus, converting the current Falvey library into a place that likely would mimic the current ambiance Conn provides would only help to enhance the  Villanova experience for students. Because Villanova prides itself on being such an academically rigorous school, having another study spot on campus would only help students in increasing the quality of work they provide, as this new space would likely foster creativity and fuel motivation. In addition, it could serve as another gathering place for Villanovans. Hanging out with friends and fostering relationships during the four years students have on campus is something Villanovans pride themselves on. So, why wouldn’t Villanova want another space that could help foster a potential for meeting people while also promoting current relationships? By converting the current Falvey library into a place that has a similar atmosphere to Conn, it would not only deescalate the current hunt for tables amongst all students during the lunchtime rush, but would also just make Villanova’s campus a much more versatile and productive place for all its students.