Things I Wish I Knew Before Coming to Villanova

Burke+discusses+things+she+wish+she+knew+before+stepping+foot+on+campus.+
Graydon Paul / Villanovan Photography
Burke discusses things she wish she knew before stepping foot on campus.

As we find ourselves in the home-stretch of the academic year, it is a time that calls for reflection. As I write this on the patio outside of the Connelly Center, it is evident that Villanovans throughout campus are energized by the recent surge of beautiful weather and the brief period between two large breaks. It reminds me of my first week at Villanova, when the August air breezed through a campus, practically bursting with activity. That reminder called for a deeper sense of reflection on the past seven months. Sitting here now, with the knowledge I have, I feel compelled to share a list of things I wish I had known at the exposition of my journey as a student of Villanova University.

1. The campus will become second-nature, but until then, use Google Maps.  I remember feeling very overwhelmed on my first day of classes when I had no idea where anything was, and using a navigation app was an absolute lifesaver during the first few weeks. There’s no shame in it, especially if you’re as directionally challenged as I am.
    2. Most of your friends will be made through random, daily occurrences. Whether it is someone you meet at the gym, through your English class, in an extracurricular or even waiting in the line at the dining hall, there is always an opportunity to create a connection and meet someone special.
    3. Call your family and friends from back home. It seems as if there is a lot of pressure to “move on” in college and to embrace new beginnings, and while this is absolutely an essential part of succeeding in college, it is also important that you take time to foster and maintain relationships with the people who have made you who you are for the greater part of your life.
    4. Spend time alone. One of the greatest blessings of college is being surrounded by friends, whether in your classes, in your dorm building or even in your own room.  While socialization is a key part of thriving and learning about yourself and others, it is equally as important to spend time with yourself.  Whether it is a walk to get coffee, tuning into your favorite television show at the end of the day or enjoying a quiet breakfast at the dining hall by yourself, it is important to maintain your independence and appreciate your solitude.
    5. Exercise and practice good nutrition. I know this is in every pamphlet and self-help book imaginable, but the value of physical fitness and nutrition is priceless. As I was acclimating to Villanova, I found great comfort in the consistency and rewarding nature of fitness. Whether it is lifting weights at the Davis Fitness Center, walking through main campus or joining a cycling class, there is always a way to be active and boost your “happy hormones.” Additionally, the dining halls have many healthy options for almost all dietary restrictions, and through seeking these options you will feel so much more energized and fueled for even the most demanding of course loads.
    6. Say no to (some of) the things you don’t want to do. The term “comfort zone” is commonly thrown around when discussing the college experience, namely that you need to get out of it. However, it is also important that you have a proper sense of self and establish your boundaries early on. Honoring your preferences and saying “no” to plans that don’t interest you won’t lessen your college experience, but will instead increase it. Trying new activities and experiences will serve you, but if you are already aware of yourself and your feelings towards that particular activity or experience, then there is no shame in sticking to your preferences.
    7. Studying in your dorm room is the kiss of death. The dormitory environment is not ideal for completing assignments and intensive studying. Luckily, Villanova has a bevy of wonderful study spots with resources to assist you as needed. Falvey Library has charger packs, comfortable study spaces with adequate lighting and a Holy Grounds location in the building. Through venturing out to do your work, you can add an element of fun to your studies and heighten your productivity.
    8. Everything will work out. Although the beginning of any journey often feels daunting,  most of the common, irrational fears are simply that — irrational. You will find your social circle. You will fall into a consistent routine. You will find an activity on campus that speaks to you. You will create a wonderful life for yourself in the beautiful environment that is Villanova. So perhaps the greatest tip on this list is to simply sit back and enjoy the ride. It goes quickly.