Villanova Needs More Housing Options

Pictured+is+Stanford%2C+a+dorm+that+houses+first+year+students.+
Graydon Paul / Villanovan Photography
Pictured is Stanford, a dorm that houses first year students.

As a Villanova student, there are two high-stress times during the Spring Semester: class registration and housing selection. In the middle of every Spring Semester, students in grade order, from rising senior to rising sophomore, choose where they will be living for the next semester. Unfortunately, rising sophomores face the significant disadvantage of getting the last pick of housing, but there are usually enough spots open for everyone to get sufficient housing according to their year. 

This past housing registration, on the morning of the third day of rising sophomore housing, there were limited spots left on campus. This led to Residence Life taking unprecedented action. In response to the shortage of available spots typically designed to house incoming freshmen, specifically Fedigan and Moriarty Hall, had to be opened up to rising sophomores, who at that point, had nowhere else to turn for housing on campus. 

“I am a rising sophomore who got placed in Alumni for the upcoming Fall Semester,” MD Olaoye said. “This is my last choice, and I was forced into a double with someone I don’t know and am not comfortable with.” 

In an email received by all rising sophomores, Resident Life released a statement.

“[We] understand that this may not have been your first choice, but we assure you that all of our housing options are carefully maintained and provide a comfortable living environment. You must select a space somewhere on campus in order to have housing next year.” 

This email alone scared rising sophomores, who were rushing to find unforeseen roommates, check out dorms that they will possibly have to be forced to stay in all for the promise that this will, “…serve as a placeholder until more spaces open up throughout the rest of the Spring Semester and Summer due to cancellations.” 

Though this promise may settle the concerns of others, most students are being put in groups and rooms as a temporary placeholder, which will not only jeopardize students who couldn’t find roommates in time to secure housing but will also leave other students to find different roommates when these “cancellations” occur. This arrangement was clearly done hastily in light of all the housing being taken on the night of the second housing registration day for rising sophomores.  

“I feel like Residence Life was very unprofessional during this process, and for my first time registering for housing, I not only felt rushed, but fearful of where I’ll be placed next semester,” Méhyssa Mondésir said 

What does this crisis have to say about Villanova’s housing situation, especially during admissions season? Well, this situation sheds light on the newfound challenges and pressures students face during housing registration, but more specifically rising sophomores who found themselves with fewer and less favorable housing placements. The increase in student numbers may be the root of the problem, causing an uproar in a multitude of students. For students who have guaranteed housing for three years of their studies here, they shouldn’t be in fear of where they are living next. Many students are emphasizing Villanova’s over-enrollment issue, which may have been the cause of this problem in the first place. This is clearly a fault on Villanova’s part, and this makes students wonder whether the University needs a new library or more dorms to house students.