Villanova Needs More Diverse Professors

Diverse+professors+add+new+perspectives+and+teaching+strategies.+
Courtesy of www.villanova.edu
Diverse professors add new perspectives and teaching strategies.

It is no secret that Villanova’s student population is overwhelmingly white. Though a lower figure than in years past, 69.4% of the student body identified as White/Non-Hispanic in 2022, per DEI demographic data. Even dubbed “Vanillanova” for its notoriously non-diverse campus, the University’s reputation precedes it. 

In recent years, Villanova has come to recognize these shortcomings. The University has made cautious efforts to celebrate diverse voices and boost minority enrollment. In recognition of Black History Month, it has promoted events by the Black Student Union (BSU), hosted discussions and promoted various cultural events. While its mission is ongoing, Villanova has undoubtedly made strides in a positive direction.

However, student diversity efforts have not been translated to faculty. Data showed that 73.9% of full-time professors are Caucasian, and only 4.4% are Black or African American. These trends remained generally consistent in part-time faculty and staff.

Promoting professors’ diversity should be equally important to that of the student community. Diverse teachers bring unique perspectives and cultural experiences into the classroom. This inclusivity is invaluable, promoting a learning environment that ventures outside of the traditional box.

Professor Blake Perry, a Black Ph.D. Student and Philosophy professor, appreciates that the University gives him the space to promote an enriching and inclusive curriculum.

“What’s most important is that [I’m] given the autonomy to outline a specific experience and make clear important issues,” Perry said.

Diversity is also necessary to foster relationships with similarly-identifying students. When students see professors they resonate with, racially or otherwise, they feel valued and understood. Every student deserves to find this kind of positive connection and feeling of mentorship. 

Students need to interact with material from different ethnic and historical backgrounds. This not only promotes tolerance but exposes students to necessary and unfiltered course content. Diverse professors bring unique viewpoints that translate to their respective syllabi.

“Villanova has allowed me to hone in on the condition of being a human being with all of my students,” Perry said. “When I teach [W.E.B] Dubois, he shows us not only about being a Black person, but about being a person in general. That’s what all scholars should strive for.”

In its newest Strategic Plan, Villanova recognized the necessary attention that must be given to faculty. As a Catholic institution, the University values the creation of community. However, a community that is truly vibrant and inclusive can only be fostered by expanding currently underrepresented demographic groups on campus

Villanova attested that it plans to continue implementing equitable hiring workshops and faculty affinity groups. It also will continue amplifying the voices of existing diverse faculty:

“We will expand recruitment and outreach efforts for underrepresented faculty, staff and students. We will codify best practices and provide training on attracting, retaining and supporting a more diverse community,” the 2020 Villanova Strategic Plan read.

While these goals are attainable, they will take time and effort on the administrative level to fully achieve. Students also must do their part to seek out diverse sources of information and professional perspectives. Educational texts or podcasts are readily available for Villanova students who want to broaden their horizons outside of the classroom.

As Black History Month comes to a close, the Villanova community must not forget about its commitment to inclusivity. Marginalized voices must be consciously and respectfully celebrated every day. To truly make a difference, this must extend itself beyond the confines of Villanova and into the broader community.

“I teach Black history outside of the month of February,” Perry said. “And I’m grateful to do so.”