Closing Courts has Consequences

Graydon Paul
The crackdown on College Hall has shifted student nightlife to more dangerous areas.

Ask most Villanova students older than a freshman what a quintessential mark of their social life was in their younger years, and they’ll likely say something to do with the halls (and carpets) of 801 Montgomery Ave.  

Recent turmoil and unrest from residents of Lower Merion Township led to a tighter leash on the once-buzzing building this school year. As of late, restrictions have grown so strict that the social scene at College Hall, colloquially known as Courts, has ceased altogether under threats of citations and even arrests.

Courts’ social scene closing isn’t as simple as students discontinuing social gatherings off-campus altogether. It means students will turn to other means of entertainment and interaction, which are farther from campus and far less safe. Courts served as a concentrated and monitored environment for students, where they would be surrounded by peers. Without this option, students (especially those under 21) are more likely to venture out into neighboring towns and subject themselves to unsafe, unfamiliar environments.

Closing one vessel for student fun isn’t going to stop it from happening. Especially at Villanova, an institution that breeds resourceful people, students will find a way. When you take away a concentrated social environment like Courts, you open the door for dangerous alternatives. This is not to advocate for underage drinking, which is an issue, and there is no easy solution to this situation. 

“The closing of Courts is really frustrating,” a female sophomore, who requested anonymity, said. “Not only was it a place to go, but the location was close to school so I always felt safe going. Now, we travel into Manayunk and Philly to go out at night. I’m spending so much money on Ubers, and I don’t feel safe”

It’s easy to label Courts as a catalyst for rowdy frat parties, but demeaning it down to that prevents constructive conversation about the consequences of this decision. To be sure, this is not to promote underaged party scenes, but the taboo surrounding this behavior needs to be removed to create honest discourse about the consequences of shutting down the Courts social scene. 

This drastic change in the Villanova social scene has direct implications for the University, as students will seek out social time by other means. Whether it’s leasing all four units in a building at The Villas at Bryn Mawr (also known as Props) or reverting to COVID-era dorm party practices, students will inevitably seek a way to satisfy their social needs.

“Courts was right next to school, so I could quickly get home when I wanted to,” the student continued. “Now, I have a 25-to-30 minute Uber ride home for $60, where I don’t feel safe, and my friends are checking our locations to make sure we get home safe.”

Students, both of legal drinking age and under, will venture into lesser-known Philadelphia bars and clubs on their weekend nights. Not only are these areas more dangerous, they are more expensive, which creates another barrier at a school that already struggles to be conducive for students of lower economic means.

“Courts has been around for decades,” the anonymous sophomore said. “Shutting it down is only going to make students go to further lengths to go out and have fun, resulting in less safe activities. I can’t believe it got shut down.” 

This decision has broader ramifications for the reputation of the school itself. A certain play-on-words critique of Villanova, often employed by rival institutions, comes to mind. The off-campus social scene is the heart of Villanova student culture, and Courts was an artery. Without it, the blood supply to a once-buzzing social scene dwindles.

Courts offered a safe option for going out at Villanova. Students traveled via rideshare and were surrounded by people they knew, which fostered an environment where students looked out for each other.

“When I was an underclassman at Courts, I always felt secure knowing no matter which apartment I went in, I would see a friendly face, who would help me if I needed,” a Villanova student, who requested anonymity, said. “I don’t know what my other options would have been in my younger”

For the last three decades, Courts has become a popular place for students to reside and makes up a significant component of the Villanova student experience. To disregard and diminish this fact is ignorant and devalues student social culture. Taking away Courts as a vessel will not cease stereotypical college-style parties altogether. It will force students to seek out fun by other, riskier means. Solutions will not be easy to come by and will require a concerted effort by varying constituencies. The University and student body will need to collaborate to find a solution that appeases and is safe for everyone.