Love Is In The Air: University Celebrates Valentine’s Day

Avery Chalk
Students prepare to celebrate Valentine’s Day.

February is certainly an interesting time of year. The month comes with some boring moments but also excitement for the upcoming holiday, Valentine’s Day. Valentine’s Day, like other holidays, brings excitement, distracting people from daily stress and reminding people of the joy in relationships.

This month, the new semester has begun to settle in and feel more routine for students and faculty. Midterms feel as though they are approaching too quickly, yet Spring Break is a few too many weeks away. Holidays are arguably important parts of the year because they allow people to find time to appreciate themselves and their loved ones.

Not everyone gets excited for or celebrates Groundhog Day in February, but Valentine’s Day is cherished by many for its positivity and encouragement for appreciating those we love.

A number of people falsely assume that in order to celebrate Valentine’s Day, they must have a romantic interest in whom to give flowers and chocolate. This is not at all true. What’s great about the holiday is that anyone can celebrate it, if they love and want to show appreciation for people they care about.

“I believe Valentine’s Day gets a bit of a bad rap for being a day that only celebrates couples,” senior Talia Calabrese said. “While this can be true in some respects, I do think that it’s a very fun day for all, and it makes the slightly boring month of February a little brighter.”

Villanova hosts a couple events around campus that brighten students’ spirits and allow them to participate in Valentine’s Day-related festivities. Many of the holiday-related activities are prepared by the Villanova Campus Activities Team. This year, on Friday, Feb. 9, the team created a Valentine’s Day-themed event called “Build A Bestie.”

Held in Dougherty Hall, students had the opportunity to choose and assemble a stuffed animal that they were able to customize to their liking. Animals included teddy bears, dogs, elephants and more, which allowed for a variety of options. After choosing an animal, people were able to dress them up in an adorable custom Villanova t-shirt to complete the final look.

“I loved attending this event because it was a great opportunity to spend quality time with my friends and make a cute gift for myself,” sophomore Giovanna Mayo said. “I love how the Villanova Campus Activities team organizes these festive events to make the school year more fun.”

A viewing of a hit 90s rom-com, “10 Things I Hate About You,” was another Valentine’s Day-themed event hosted by Villanova’s Campus Activities Team on Saturday, Feb. 3. This movie has always been a hit and certainly brings about the spirit of love during the Valentine’s Day season. It took place in the Connelly Cinema, and students had easy access to delicious popcorn from the convenience store in Connelly Center, as well as a fun movie night.

Additionally, the Senior Class Gift Program will be offering an event that senior students can look forward to attending on Valentine’s Day. The event is called Sip and Paint, where seniors can enjoy painting with beer, wine and snacks for a $20 donation. Not only is this a fun event to do with friends and classmates, $10 of each ticket counts towards the Senior Class Gift and a donation to one’s favorite campus location.

While all of these events are great ways to have fun and be involved with on campus activities, many students have been expressing their excitement for the holiday through individual plans with friends and significant others.

“I think the holiday is so cute and it brings me so much joy,” sophomore Madison Shields said. “I’m going to spend Valentine’s Day with my friends, and we’re probably going to have a nice dinner and spend quality time together.”

The holiday is beloved for its goal of bringing friends and loved ones together to show their appreciation for one another.