Villanova Hosts Annual Christmas Tree Lighting

Lydia McFarlane/ Villanovan Photography
The annual Christmas Tree lighting was held at the Oreo.

Villanova’s Annual Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony took place on Monday, Dec. 4, at the Riley Ellipse. It is one of the most significant events of Villanova’s Christmas Celebration, and the annual community event was a huge success. 

Many students, faculty, staff, parents and children gathered to kick off the Christmas season, and they enjoyed plenty of festive music, food and drinks. 

Throughout the event, there was music performed by Villanova’s choir groups, who sang several Christmas songs and livened up the spirit and put everyone in a festive mood. There was even a visit from Santa Claus, who took pictures with some students.

Present at the event was Villanova’s President, Rev. Peter M. Donohue, OSA, PhD, who gave a short speech and a Christmas prayer, highlighting the importance of keeping Jesus at the center of the holiday celebrations. He also indicated the importance of Advent, which is the season of waiting and preparation for the celebration of Christ’s birth. He explains that the word Advent is derived from the Latin root “Adventus” which means “coming.” He stressed the importance of this because Advent’s significance is the waiting for the coming of Jesus, just as the Jews waited for the coming of the Messiah some two thousand years ago. 

A young daughter of a Villanova faculty member was offered the opportunity to read the story of Jesus’ birth to everyone in attendance. The reading earned plenty of applause. 

Father Peter also gave a blessing to all the children and students in attendance before finally lighting up the tree. 

The lights on the tree, which can be found at the Riley Ellipse, were magnificent. The vibrant colors on the main Christmas tree and those of the surrounding trees garnered awe in the eyes of the audience. 

After the lighting of the tree, Father Peter announced that there would be more festive features that night, such as s’mores, more music and a special light show. 

The rest of the week will consist of more festive celebrations, such as the Villanova Pastoral Musical Holiday Concert on Wednesday, the Villanova Band’s Christmas Concert on Monday and a Holiday Village and Night Market next Monday. 

View Comments (1)
$2500
$2500