University Recognizes Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week

Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week (HHAW) has played a significant role in the Villanova service community and population for many decades past. This past week (Nov. 11 to Nov. 20) gave students the opportunity to get involved and make a positive difference in the communities surrounding Villanova’s campus. 

In 1975, Father Ray Jackson, along with a group of Villanova students, came together to find a course of action that would advocate for their surrounding communities. They recognized how crucial it is to be aware of how hunger and homelessness issues are extremely prevalent in our society. Villanova, being a more well-off community, ensures it does its part to support and educate the surrounding neighborhoods through organizations like Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week. 

Today, there are more than 700 colleges, high schools and community groups across the United States that represent the HHAW organization. Each group has representatives whose main goal is raising hunger and homelessness awareness that has and continues to prevail in our society. 

The Hunger and Homelessness Awareness week consists of a number of events that aim to achieve three goals: education, advocacy and service. Each of these three pillars serve to achieve their main goal of having zero people affected by two pressing social issues: hunger and homelessness.  

Some of the various events included keynote speakers, research discussions, fundraisers, raffles and tabling. Each of these events allowed for people to become more conscious of how they can get involved and truly be able to make a difference in people’s lives. 

Entertaining events such as raffles and fundraisers also were put into motion during Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week. Entering the raffle fundraiser gave students and faculty a chance to win a gift box from a community partner. 

The Everybody Eats event that took place in Driscoll Hall on Wednesday, Nov. 15 was a large hit among students. Everybody Eats is a group that was founded by the famous chef, Stephanie Willis. She, along with four other chefs, has made it their mission to fight for food security and strengthen our communities. Additionally, she was a contestant on MasterChef and has a lot of experience with culinary activities. The Everybody Eats crew is dedicated to nourishing people who are hungry along with leading others to advocate for those who struggle to put food on the table.

Along with hearing from intriguing speakers like Everybody Eats, students had the opportunity to donate their meals in order to raise money for partner organizations like Catholic Relief Services, National Coalition for the Homeless, Project Home and the Center for Environmental transformation. All of which provide funds for food and, in turn, prevents those from experiencing severe hunger and homelessness. Doing a simple act of solidarity such as meal donations actively aids those impacted by these issues. 

Those who participate in Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week, as well as its sponsors, work hard toward the mission of zero people affected by hunger. Its two main sponsors include the National Coalition for the Homeless and the National Student Campaign Against Hunger and Homelessness. Each of these organizations is a national network that works tirelessly to ensure the immediate needs of those experiencing hunger and homelessness are met and that they are protected. These issues are systemic and ongoing which is why we, along with our population, can be involved and use the proper resources to act urgently. 

As we begin entering the holiday season, it is common to emphasize the importance of gratitude for the blessings in our lives. This rings true, and while the time is special, it’s also critical to use the holiday season as a reminder to care for one’s community and look after the world around us.