Students Should Educate Themselves on Politics, Voting

Many Villanovans are aware of the man who sits at his table on the Wildcat Path or by the Performing Arts Center and urges students to register to vote in our area. Although he may sometimes catch us off guard when we are rushing to or from a class, the attempt to get young people to vote is an important one at this time. 

The most recent Election Day has just passed, and students are reflecting on their individual decisions whether to participate.

Since Villanova is made up of mostly out-of-state students, many either have to vote absentee for their own county back home or register to vote for candidates here. Thanks to resources on campus or elsewhere, many feel supported in being able to register. 

However, the situation is a bit more complicated as far as actually being able to vote, and the process can feel very foreign and daunting for first-time voters. At Villanova and colleges around the country, some students are just turning 18. Others have been of voting age for several years. Either way, it is important to get out and vote for politicians that align with your beliefs. 

Additionally, understanding the context and significance of voting, both here in Pennsylvania and in other states, is necessary when approaching Election Day. Politicians have a particular focus on college-age students because we are a large demographic that could sway a vote. In Pennsylvania, a swing-state, each individual vote matters.

Freshman Hannah Sullivan is from California, a state that is largely Democratic and easy to predict which direction voting will go.

“When my vote didn’t count in LA, I would find other ways of supporting candidates through rallies and events,” Sullivan said. “Going to a swing-state has changed my perspective on that.”

This is the case for a large portion of Villanova, which hosts so many who would either have to mail in ballots to their respective counties or choose to register in Radnor. 

The former option was popular among students who lived nearby or were from other swing states themselves.

Maggie Dirkes, a freshman from nearby, voted from where she was originally registered. 

“I voted for my own county,” Dirkes said. “I requested a ballot to participate.” 

The University has its own initiative, “Let’s Vote, ‘Nova,” that encourages students and provides them with the guidance to find polling places, switching registration location and other key information to make participating simple. Multiple emails went to students throughout the past few weeks that highlighted the ways in which Villanova could facilitate students in their voting. 

There was also a shuttle service active to take students to and from the voting locations. The directions for these helpful services were discussed in an email, and additional information and communication would have been helpful for students to make use of the resource.

There will not be another Election Day for a while, but this time can still be useful. Do research on upcoming candidates wherever you are registered to vote. Figure out which of them fit your stances on issues, because they will be the ones making decisions about the legislature that coincides with them. 

“It really is important to vote for candidates that align with your beliefs,” Sullivan said. “As a young woman, I find there are many issues I care about and making sure I can do my part in supporting that is vital.”

Decide what is important to you, and stick with it. If you decide to continue to be active in politics in your home county and state, research ways to support candidates from far away and how to vote absentee. It is also an important factor to keep up with recent world news to understand the climate of issues you should be concerned about. 

Remember, Villanovans, you have the right to vote, and no matter where you are from, your opinion matters. Get educated about politics that matter to you.

View Comments (1)
$2500
$2500