Back on My Feet 5k

Back+On+My+Feet+is+a+national+nonprofit+organization+that+focuses+on+combating+homelessness+through+exercise+and+support+from+the+community.+
Gemma Krautzel
Back On My Feet is a national nonprofit organization that focuses on combating homelessness through exercise and support from the community.

This past Saturday, dozens of students walked and ran 3.1 miles for a reason beyond their normal fitness goals: to empower people to overcome cycles of poverty, homelessness and addiction. By participating in Back On My Feet (BOMF)’s annual 5k, students combined their workout with real impact on the lives of others. 

BOMF Villanova is a local chapter of the national non-profit Back on My Feet, which is tasked with helping people experiencing homelessness to “get back on [their] feet” through fitness, community support and employment resources. Villanova students contribute to this mission by participating in weekly community walks and runs in Philadelphia, as well as hosting events like BOMF’s annual 5k, which collaborates with Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week.

This year’s 5k was an extremely successful event, with more than 75 signups. Despite the race kicking off bright and early on Saturday morning at 9 a.m., there was no shortage of participants eager to support the important cause. 

Prior to crossing the start line, participants heard from faculty advisor Dr. Jennifer A. Joyce, Ph.D., who shared the importance of the event and the organization with its participants. 

“By being here today, you are helping to disrupt cycles of poverty and addiction across the country,” Joyce said. “I want you to take that in for a second. That’s a big deal.”

Joyce spoke to the overwhelming success of the Back on My Feet national organization. She explained that 50% of homeless people who engage with Back on My Feet find housing, while 83% maintain employment.

“Every act of advocacy and agency matters and that’s what you’re doing today,” she said.

From the Oreo, participants completed three one-mile laps around campus, heading towards Bartley, wrapping around near Sheehan and Pit and passing CEER and Falvey. There were course marshals along the way, directing participants, but also providing support with loud music and homemade signs.

Once participants crossed the finish line on their third lap to the loud cheers and claps of the crowd, they were able to grab a shirt and some snacks before joining in to cheer on those who were still racing.

Senior Gemma Krautzel serves as co-president of Back on My Feet Villanova and was actively involved in the planning and coordination of the 5k. 

“BOMF is close to my heart, because it intertwines advocacy and service together perfectly,” Krautzel said. “Every single moment with Back on My Feet is nothing short of energizing and empowering. I love being able to extend our Villanova community to the greater Philadelphia area, forming connections with a diverse and motivating group of people.”

Krautzel said that she was very happy with the success of the 5k. 

“We are still awaiting the calculation of the final numerical amount we raised for Back on My Feet, but I am confident it is the most we have ever raised during my time at ‘Nova,” she said. “I saw so many smiling faces Saturday and I truly believe we grew the Back on My Feet community through this event.”