University Hosts Annual Special Olympics Fall Fest

Natalie Zickel
This year’s Fall Fest was a success.

In one of Villanova’s most enduring and endearing traditions, the 35th annual Special Olympics Pennsylvania Fall Festival was organized and held on campus this past weekend. There were celebrations, games and more than 1,000 inspiring athletes from 39 different Pennsylvanian counties who took part in the three-day event.

After months of prepping for both the athletes and those at Villanova making this majestic and inspirational weekend happen (along with including “Fall Fest Firsts” to make the event more inclusive) it all came to fruition as the sun rose this past Friday morning. The theme of the weekend may also have been the theme for Villanovans involved as members of Villanova’s Special Olympics committee, Inclusion Crew, Local Program Hosts (LPHs) or Volunteer Coordinators (VCs) during the festival. “Together as a team, our dreams are closer than they seem.”

“Everyone involved, from the LPHs to committee members to volunteers, put in months of work,” freshman and LPH Aidan McGovern said. “All of them will tell you that the first smile they saw from an athlete made the entire process entirely worth it.”

The main portion of the event kicked off on Friday night with the opening ceremonies, culminating in the ceremonial lighting of the torch. However, many festivities began early the next morning. For those living in Sullivan Hall and Sheehan Hall, the day began very early as LPHs made sure to wake up all who live in the Quad at the crack of dawn on Saturday morning. 

That day, the Quad transformed into “O-Town,”, with different student organizations and clubs contributing. Whether it was making waffles, doing trivia or playing an inflatable soccer game, it was a magical event to walk through, and was even more magical for the athletes. O-Town also had several different performances throughout the day, from a costumed Darth Vader walking up to the Connelly Center to the Villanova Irish Dance team performing on the steps of Bartley Hall.

Saturday also saw the main slate of this weekend in the competitions get underway, with athletes taking part in running and powerlifting competitions, bocce, roller skating, soccer, volleyball and flag football. In powerlifting, one of the most inspirational performances was turned in by 21-year-old A.J. Knight, whose 319-pound bench press made national headlines. And yet, Knight was just one of an infinite number of inspirational performances from this past weekend, a testament to the power of this special event. All one had to do was walk by Austin Field, duck into Jake Nevin or enter Villanova Stadium to see such an example.

The night was headlined by a Victory Jamboree, held outdoors. The event featured a DJ, an outdoor viewing of Disney’s Inside Out and both high-sensory and low-sensory tents, another of the “Fall Fest Firsts” made important this year by the committee and the University.

While the event may have concluded on Sunday afternoon with a beautiful closing ceremony, the memories and experiences shared by the athletes will be timeless, as well as the experience for the Villanovans who helped organize and run this event. For McGovern especially, this weekend constituted something of a full circle moment for him.

“I grew up watching my sister compete in Special Olympics games, and I’ve witnessed firsthand just how magical the experience can be for the families involved,” McGovern said. “To see it from the other side, as an LPH, has been equally magical.”