University Hosts Flu Vaccine Clinic

Victoria Margenat/ Villanovan Photography
A nurse at the clinic prepares to give out flu shots to Villanova community members.

As the Villanova community settles into the fall semester, with its decreasing temperatures, it is inevitable that there will be increased cases of cold and flu. 

To fight the spread of the highly contagious virus, the Villanova Health Center is partnering with the Philadelphia pharmacy chain Rite Aid to offer an influenza vaccine clinic on Sept. 27. Students, faculty and staff do not need to make prior appointments to attend the clinics, which are open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the East Lounge of Dougherty Hall. 

The flu vaccine costs $32, although Health Center Director Mary McGonigle assures that Rite Aid accepts most insurance plans to cover the expense. Students should bring both their Wildcard and insurance card to the clinic.

The process of receiving the flu vaccination begins with filling out a Screening Questionnaire and Consent Form, which can be accessed here or through the Health Center website. The Health Center encourages those receiving a vaccination to complete the form prior to attending the clinic. If needed, forms will also be provided at the East Lounge.

McGonigle encourages the Villanova community that late September is an ideal time to receive a flu vaccination.

“We like our students to get vaccinated early in the season,” McGonigle said. “Ahead of Fall Break, vaccines are readily available.”

Rite Aid’s vaccine information statement describes flu season as generally beginning in October and continuing as late as May. The CDC recommends receiving one vaccination each flu season to stay protected from the virus, which affects five to 20 percent of the U.S. population every year. Some common flu symptoms to monitor include a high fever and chills, sore throat, cough and fatigue.

Following the clinic, those who receive vaccinations may experience typical side effects, including soreness surrounding the location of the shot, fever, muscle aches and headaches.

According to McGonigle, last flu season’s vaccine clinics totaled to nearly 1,500 participants, including both Villanova students and employees. RiteAid provided an estimate of close to 500 vaccinations throughout the day during Thursday’s clinic.

The Health Center will continue to advertise the flu vaccine clinics in weekly Wildcat Newswire emails. More information about flu vaccinations and prevention tips can be found here on the Villanova Health Center website.