University Announces New Counseling Center Director

Brian Luppy/Villanovan Photography
The Counseling Center is housed by the University’s Health Center.

Villanova University announced Dr. Nathalie Edmond, Psy.D. as the new director of the on-campus Counseling Center. Edmond came to Villanova this academic year, and is bringing a new vision to Villanova and the University’s fight towards increasing students’ mental health. 

“I am excited for this new turn in Villanova’s counseling center,” sophomore Nadia Balduf said. “I am eager to see how under the new leadership of Dr. Edmond betters the University as a whole.”

Edmond is bringing a new perspective to the University.

“We want to continue to offer traditional short-term counseling as well as offer services outside of the traditional four walls of the counseling center,” Edmond said. “That would look like more outreach events outside of the traditional nine to five hours during the week.”

Throughout the first few weeks of the semester, the counseling center has already begun to reach out to on campus organizations. 

“I really appreciate how the Counseling Center is moving to make a difference with student engagement,” sophomore Kara McGoldrick said. “I think that throughout the school year, being able to connect with the Counseling Center through new ways such as club meetings and out-of-office resources is going to help students to a greater extent.” 

Over the past few years, the University has had an increase of awareness for the LGBTQIA+ and the BIPOC communities on Villanova’s campus. 

“We want to offer more groups to supplement or substitute for individual therapy,” Edmond said. “Some of the groups are: loss loved ones, graduate student support group, mindfulness for emotions, adjustment group, recovery group, BIPOC group and LGBTQIA group.” 

“This is great for the Villanova community,” sophomore Betty Dorsey said. “I believe that by having a space where students can feel comfortable, it will help break the stigma of mental health, where students feel like they can’t look for help.”

In addition to increasing untraditional resources on campus, Edmond is interested in increasing on campus appointment slots in order for more students to be able to be seen when needed, instead of booking appointments months out. 

“Looking at how we schedule, how we consult on campus, how we can reduce barriers to care and how we can create a place where everyone feels like they belong and can be supported by our services,” Edmond said. “We plan to continue to streamline our intake process and have digital forms and satisfaction surveys. We want to build our referral list for those students who need weekly individual therapy that the counseling center may not be able to provide. We want to continue to spread the word about Uwill who offers telehealth sessions and crisis management.”

“This is great for the Villanova community,” sophomore Ryan Levey said. “There have been times where my friends and myself have tried to book appointments through the center and were told they are not available for weeks on end. I am hopeful under Dr. Edmond’s leadership, the center will be more available to students to use on a shorter notice.” 

Edmond is a great new addition to the Villanova community. Under her leadership, students are eager to see a change in the center, and an increase of resources for students to use. 

“I can not wait for the chance to meet Dr. Edmond and see how her visions come to life here at Villanova,” sophomore Claire Gaza said. “I am looking forward to this positive change in a department that means so much to so many students here on campus.”