Club Fair Brings New Opportunities

Courtesy of Kayla Verga/Villanovan Photography
Members of the Villanova Sirens are pictured at the 2023 Involvement Fair.

Rain or shine, the bi-annual Villanova Involvement Fair proved to be a success, as more than 250 clubs gathered in the Finneran Pavilion to welcome students for the fall semester. The afternoon was the perfect way to kick off the school year, complete with interactive booths, creative informational marketing and even a Judo demonstration.

While historically held on Mendel field, fair tables were brought inside due to scattered showers and late-August humidity. Thankfully, there was no shortage of space in the pavilion. Club and intramural sports teams were placed outside of the basketball court with the remainder of organizations residing inside the arena. 

Clubs were color-coded and organized by category for easy navigation. Greek life, service, advocacy, media, culture and several other categories of groups were included. 

Most tables had poster boards or other large promotional displays that informed passersby about the nature of the club, with several participating members acting as spokespeople. People quite appreciated the ease of which they were able to find and receive information.

“As a freshman, I found the involvement fair to be incredibly well-organized,” freshman Dianna Regan said. “This was my first time seeing all of the student organizations on campus, and I’ve already joined several clubs that I wouldn’t have otherwise known about.”

While a majority of clubs were well-established, several newfound organizations also made their debuts. They were diverse in nature, spanning from a fishing club to a new chapter of Alpha Delta Pi. Villanova makes it incredibly easy to become involved and fill an open niche. Not only can students restart a previously existing program, but they can build their own organization from the ground up. 

For more information about starting a club, students can visit the Office of Student Involvement in Dougherty Hall. 

Unlike typical high school clubs, Villanova offers countless academic organizations that focus specifically on job preparation and networking. These clubs host workshops, guest speaker meetings and other career-centered programs that help to prepare students for internships and other pre-professional opportunities. 

Such clubs include the Business Analytics Society, Undergraduate Nursing Senate, Villanova Accounting Society and more.

Of course, there are also many “just for fun” organizations. These are some of the campus favorites, as these clubs bring students with similar hobbies together to bond over mutual interests.

They also tend to be more relaxed, with involvement dependent on personal interest rather than pre-meditated commitment. Examples of such include spikeball, rock climbing and the Villanova Gaming Society.

Clubs have also taken to tabling outside of the Oreo and inside of the Connelly Center. Most notably have been various a cappella groups, TedxVillanovaU and Special Olympics. With similar displays to the involvement fair booths, these stands are a great way to learn more about an organization in a more relaxed setting. 

One standout club was the Association for Change and Transformation (ACT). This organization is most known for its yearly diversity skit, in which members participate in identity and sensitivity training in preparation for guided conversations with orientation members. ACT is one of several identity and activism-based clubs on campus, and an ideal option for students like myself who are interested in sparking social change.

Another noteworthy club is RUIBAL. This is a weekly program that allows students to travel to K-8 schools in the Philadelphia area to participate in tutoring, mentorship and other community outreach initiatives. This is a unique opportunity, and some are excited to learn more about it in the future.

Simply put, there is truly something for everyone on campus. Whether it is trying a new sport or committing to a volunteer project, Villanova’s plethora of involvement opportunities make it easy for new (and returning) students to find their place and form lasting connections.