Baseball Falls to UConn in Two-Game Series

The Wildcats are currently 5-9 in the Big East.

James Haupt, Staff Writer

This past weekend, Villanova fell to Big East rival UConn in two games, losing, 7-3 and 9-1. 

With the two losses to the Huskies, the Wildcats now have a 11-30 record on the season and 5-9 in conference. 

Due to weather, Villanova’s first game of the series took place on Saturday. The teams’

scheduled Sunday game was postponed due to rain.

The Wildcats got the scoring started early in the first inning of the first game with a two-run home run by senior catcher John Whooley. 

Whooley had a strong individual performance, finishing two-three with two RBIs and a walk. However, the lead was cut short as UConn scored six unanswered runs going into the seventh inning. 

The Wildcats then got back on the board with a solo home-run by graduate student shortstop Craig Larsen. 

Overall, the pitching staff had a solid day in game one, despite allowing seven runs and a loss. Only four runs were earned. Junior pitcher Cade Udell was given the loss, but had a decent outing, posting two strikeouts over 2.1 innings and only allowing two earned runs on two hits.

Senior Luke Dziados had the best pitching performance of the game. Dziados threw 3.1 innings and allowed one run, zero ERs, two hits and recorded three strikeouts. 

“We pitched the ball well and that gave us a chance,” head Coach Kevin Mulvey said. “Pitching did a good job especially in the later half of this game. It was a tough loss for the Wildcats, but they proved they had some fight in them.” 

In the second game of the series, the trend continued of getting behind early for the ‘Cats.

This time, the Wildcats allowed nine runs and didn’t score their first run until the bottom of the ninth inning. This lone run was another solo homer by Larsen. 

Larsen finished the game, 2-4, proving to be one of the only bright spots in this game and the weekend as a whole. 

On the mound, junior pitcher Devin Rivera struggled. In game two, Rivera allowed six earned runs on eight hits in six innings in this appearance. 

“There’s no such thing as an eight-run home run,” Mulvey said. “You have to go out there and try to get it back pitch by pitch and get some momentum going. It’s happened in the past, but unfortunately the pitcher made it difficult on us.” 

With the rivalry weekend behind them, the ‘Cats will now head into their final week of play, starting with a matchup against Saint Joseph’s on Wednesday, May 3rd, followed by a three-game series against St. John’s.