Baseball Goes 1-2 Against Iona In Three-Game Set

Villanova had an impressive performance on the mound this weekend against Iona.

James Haupt, Staff Writer

This past weekend, Villanova’s baseball team faced off against Iona in a three-game set, going 1-2 on the weekend. 

In its first game of the weekend, Villanova secured its third win of the season, winning, 8-4. 

The Wildcats’ Saturday game was pushed to Sunday due to rain, and Villanova played a double-header. On Sunday, the ‘Cats went 0-2, losing, 4-3, in the first game and falling again to Iona in the third game, 8-2. 

In the first game of the series, the Wildcats dominated, as Friday’s matchup was highlighted by big hits and impressive bullpen work. 

Senior CF AJ Hansen got the scoring started for Villanova with a solo home-run in the bottom half of the first inning. The Wildcats really took over the game in the third inning where it put up six runs to make it 7-3. 

The ‘Cats also took advantage of some wild pitching in this inning as four runs came off of walks. Grad Student third baseman Stephen Grober also brought in two runs of his own this inning with a single. He had a huge impact in this game as he finished 2-4 with a walk, one run, and two RBIs. 

The victory was highlighted by the bullpen performance. Senior pitcher Chic DeGaetano started the game but was taken out in the second inning after allowing three earned runs on six hits in just 1.2 innings. 

Three pitchers made appearances out of the bullpen, each throwing more than two innings. Senior Luke Dziados was rewarded with the win as he pitched 2.1 innings and allowed one run on four hits with one strikeout. 

The strongest outing came from graduate student Stephen Turzai, who earned the save after throwing a perfect 2.2 innings. He recorded five strikeouts and allowed zero runs on zero hits. 

“I was happy with the bullpen,” coach Kevin Mulvey said. “Chic didn’t have his best stuff, and I figured the bullpen would give the best chance.” 

The great pitching continued in the second game of the series on Sunday, despite the loss. 

Junior pitcher Devin Rivera completed seven innings, recording six strikeouts while allowing two runs on four hits and two walks. 

However, Rivera’s efforts on the mound weren’t enough to secure the win. 

“One of the best outings of his career,” Mulvey said about Rivera. “He pitched very well despite the loss. Certainly, well enough to get the win, but we couldn’t score while he was out there.” 

Villanova struggled defensively in the second game, making two crucial errors that resulted in two unearned runs allowed by junior pitcher Cade Udell. 

Udell had a solid outing despite these unearned runs, finishing with two strikeouts in 1.2 innings while only allowing one hit and zero earned runs.

On the offensive side, junior second baseman Cameron Hassert continued his hot streak at the plate as he went 2-5 with one RBI and one run scored. This included a huge home run in the seventh that tied the game at the time. 

However, Hassert suffered a broken finger prior to this hit which held him out for the next game and potentially future games. 

Later that day, the ‘Cats stepped on the field for their third game in the series, where they seemed to collapse, suffering a 8-2 loss. 

This 1-2 weekend against Iona brings the ‘Cats to a 3-19 overall record as they head into the Liberty Bell Classic. 

Villanova will take the field again this coming weekend for a three-game set against the 14-9 Georgetown Hoyas.