Breakfast and a Good Cause: Alpha Gam’s Waffle Jam

Alpha Gamma Delta is hosting their Waffle Jam.

Sofia Krzewicki, Staff Writer

Perhaps you’ve seen the sign near KiOn Wednesday, Villanova University’s chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta will be hosting its signature philanthropy event, Alpha Gam Waffle Jam, at which chapter members sell unlimited waffles and toppings to raise money for Fighting Hunger. Located in Cafe Nova, Alpha Gam Waffle Jam has received generous donations from local businesses, including Chopt, Bulldog Yoga, Giant and Kyle Kavan to help the chapter reach its fundraising goal. 

Chapter President Chrissy Polakiewicz reminisced about last year’s Waffle Jam. 

“We had our first in-person Waffle Jam since the pandemic, and it was very successful and so much fun,” she said. “It was a great opportunity for our members to bond and spread the sense of community we feel towards each other with the rest of campus, all while supporting a great cause.”

The University’s chapter has been recognized as a “jewel chapter” by the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation, which means that the chapter has raised more than $2,000 during a school year. In the 10 years that the chapter has been active, Alpha Gamma Delta has been recognized this way eight times. Last year, the chapter raised roughly $1,400 at Alpha Gam Waffle Jam, and about 250 members of the Villanova community were in attendance. 

Alpha Gamma Delta chapters across the United States and Canada partner with Feeding America and Meals on Wheels to bring awareness about the one-in-eight people and one-in-four children who struggle with hunger. 

“I am personally touched by this cause because fighting hunger has an impact on people who need our help the most so they can be well and feel like they are able to focus on school, work, family or even take care of themselves,” Katie Van Dusen, Vice President of Philanthropy, said. “No one should have to worry about their next meal.” 

To indulge in all-you-can-eat waffles, Venmo @AlphaGam-WaffleJam. Presale tickets are $5 and at-the-door tickets are $7.