Women’s Basketball Routs American, 83-42

Maddy+Siegrist+finished+with+24+points+and+seven+rebounds+to+lead+the+Wildcats.+

Quinn Burns/Villanovan Photography

Maddy Siegrist finished with 24 points and seven rebounds to lead the Wildcats.

Katie Lewis, Staff Writer

After a convincing win over Big East opponent Providence on Sunday, the 25th ranked Villanova women’s basketball team was back at the Finn on Tuesday, Dec. 6 to take on American University. The Wildcats maintained the Eagles’ eight-game losing streak with a sound defeat, winning 83–42.

The Wildcats entered the game unhesitant to take shots from outside the arc. Junior guard Maddie Burke scored two three-pointers in the first five minutes of the game. An offensive rebound that led to another three-pointer from Burke sparked momentum for Villanova with three minutes to go in the first period, which ended with a score of 25–9.

Despite making a series of substitutions as the first period came to an end, American continued to trail Villanova on the scoreboard throughout the first half, failing to complete their first ten three-point attempts. Senior forward Maddy Siegrist dominated the half as Villanova’s leading scorer, tallying 17 points and five rebounds. The Wildcats doubled the Eagles’ points, finishing the first half on top 46–23.

Especially during the second half, some of the underclassmen on the Villanova roster had opportunities to stand out and contribute significantly. Halfway through the third period, sophomore guard Lucy Olsen scored a three-pointer off an opponent turnover, building the Wildcats’ lead. Shortly after, sophomore forward Christina Dalce made two free throws, then a third in close succession.

“This year’s sophomores increased our competitiveness and are continuing to grow and contribute in all ways,” Villanova head coach Denise Dillon said postgame. “They stepped up to the challenge in the second half and showed what they’re capable of.”

Villanova finished the game strong, shooting 10-of-13 during the last period for an impressive 77%, while American shot 3-of-12.

The Wildcats, with a record of 8–2, currently stand in seventh place in the Big East, and 25th overall. On Saturday, the Wildcats look to generate a three-game winning streak against the undefeated Saint Joseph’s at home before returning to conference play on Dec. 28 against Marquette.

“St. Joseph’s is a great team, so we’re really going to come out and stick together,” Olsen said. “Our energy is really high and we just want to win.”

Although Saturday’s game is expected to be a challenge, Dillon assures that the team will spend the week preparing to face Saint Joseph’s with confidence.

“This week is crucial, with [the players] keeping in mind both finals coming in and having to finish the conference schedule strong,” Dillon said. “But with two of those games being Big Five games, I think that the motivation is there and they have no time to rest.”