Greek Life- a positive force on campus

[email protected]

To the Editor:

As a member of the Greek community, I felt both disappointed and betrayed by the editorial that appeared in last week’s column. Above all, your article focused on particular occurrences that are not representative of Greek Week or the Greek community as a whole. The Greek community holds Greek Week every year as a celebration of the spirit that is synonymous with Greek Life. Greek Week isn’t about spending a great deal of money (which the majority of chapters do not do), but it’s about having time to spend with your particular chapter, and the Greek community at large. It is a culmination of a year’s worth of hard work, endless meetings and improvement of an already strong system.Most people are quick to target Greeks for their flaws, but few realize the good that this community of over 1,300 people does each year.Here are some statistics for all those people who wonder what Greek Life does for our campus: 3.14- the overall Greek GPA (higher than the non-Greek GPA which is 3.11)14,000- Number of service hours that Greek donates each year to their national philanthropies. $1,572- amount of money that the Greek community has raised for the Missy Harrell Scholarship fund (proceeds from Skit Night of Greek Week)7- Number of bus loads of Greeks that participated in the Walk against hunger in 2002 (in 2003, when the date for the walk conflicted with another Greek event, Villanova could not even fill 1 bus.)

I am writing, not as a member of a specific group on campus, but as a proud member of this community of Greeks. I truly believe that the spirit and dedication that is so tangible on campus is in large part due to the Greeks and their commitment to making Villanova a better place. I challenge you to look past the stereotypes and to look at each of the men and women who sport their Greek letters. These people are some of the finest movers and shakers on campus. These people are working to make a difference at Villanova and they deserve to be commended for their compassion and dedication. Lisa Libertucci Class of ’05