Mine Ener

[email protected]

Once such a proud part of my life, I am now disheartened by my association with Villanova University in the aftermath of the controversy surrounding the memorial in honor of Mine Ener.

Dr. Ener was my professor and my mentor and I will never forget the impact she had on my life. As well, I will never forget the tragic events of last year. Anyone with the compassion and love that the Catholic Church embraces is able to know that the professor who blessed Villanova with her presence is NOT the same woman who suffered so tragically last year.

The dedication of the memorial for Mine Ener was a way to honor the contribution an accomplished scholar and dedicated professor made to the university. It was not associated in any way with the events of last year. This is an academic community and it was her academic accomplishments that were to be honored.

Controversy and debate are essential to academic life. At Villanova, however, controversy and debate are cause for retraction. Villanova should have stood by its professor– one who made such a positive impact on its students– rather than back down at the slightest sign of struggle. In the words of M. Scott Peck, “There can be no vulnerability without risk; there can be no community without vulnerability; there can be no peace, and ultimately no life, without community.”

I am sorry this decision was made and I am sorry it reflects on all of us who associate ourselves with the Villanova Community.