Women’s Basketball Falls 67-55 in Regular Season Finale

Meghann Morhardt, Staff Writer

In its final regular season game, and on senior night, Villanova women’s basketball fell to Seton Hall, 67-55. 

The program celebrated the class of 2021 with a special ceremony and tribute before tip-off. The class of ‘21 includes three players – Sam Carangi, Brianna Herlihy, Raven James and the team’s manager, Caroline O’Keefe. 

Redshirt sophomore Maddy Siegrist scored her 1000th point only 56 seconds into the game on a pair of free throws. Siegrist is the third Wildcat to score 1000 points in just two seasons and the fastest player to do it, in only 50 games, surpassing Villanova women’s basketball legend Shelley Pennefather’s previous record of 52 games. Siegrist is the 30th women’s basketball player to score 1000 points. 

The first quarter was an even battle, with both teams showing tough defense and strong offense. The ‘Cats had a four-point advantage with less than two seconds left in the quarter, but a foul on a three-point shot allowed Seton Hall to cut the lead to one entering the second. 

Scoring was scarce in the quarter, with the Pirates and the ‘Cats only scoring 12 and 10 points respectively. Both were plagued by turnovers, with the two teams combining for 12 in the second quarter alone. Seton Hall was able to regain the lead with two minutes remaining in the half, neither team scoring for the remainder of the half, giving the Pirates a 29-28 lead entering halftime. 

The third quarter was the turning point of the game. Villanova tied the game at 31 with 7:45 remaining in the period, but Seton Hall responded with a 9-0 run and opened up the lead. The ‘Cats, led by Siegrist, tried to respond with a run of their own, but Seton Hall was not slowing down, ending the quarter with a 12 point lead. 

Seton Hall held a double figure lead until there was less than a minute remaining in game play. The Pirates closed the game out with free throws and tough defensive stops to win by 12.  

Siegrist led all scorers with 27 points and added 10 rebounds, tallying a Big East-best 10th double-double on the season, 22 in her career. Siegrist has recorded a double-double in three of the last four games. This game is the 28th time in her career that Siegrist has scored 20 or more points.  

Senior guard Sarah Mortensen added 11 points and nine rebounds to help the Wildcats. This game marks Mortensen’s 11th double figure scoring game of the season. Herlihy recorded five points, eight rebounds, four assists and three blocks. 

Villanova lost the battle on the boards 42-38 and had 16 turnovers to the Pirates’ 12. The ‘Cats shot just 35.8% from the field, 19-of-53, while Seton Hall shot 35%, 21-of-60. 

Seton Hall had three players score in double figures and had two with 20-plus points. The Pirates were led by senior Desiree Elmore who tallied 21 points, 16 rebounds and four assists. 

Sophomore Lauren Park-Lane added 20 points and five assists for Seton Hall. Graduate Student Andra Espinoza-Hunter chipped in 16 points, seven rebounds and two steals for the Pirates.  

This was Villanova’s last regular season game. The ‘Cats are ranked fifth in the Big East, meaning they would play the four seed in the Big East tournament.  

The tournament is being held in Connecticut this year at Mohegan Sun and will consist of 10 games, and all 11 Big East teams will participate. The tournament kicks off on Friday with three games among the six lowest ranked teams. 

Since DePaul finished fourth in the conference, Villanova will face off against the Blue Demons on Saturday afternoon. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m. and the game can be viewed on FS2.