OFSL Hosts Mock Recruitment

Erin Costa

On Sunday, Dec. 5, Villanova’s Panhellenic Council hosted Mock Recruitment for any freshman or sophomore interested in rushing a sorority this coming spring. The event ran from 12 to 4 p.m. and allowed dozens of young women to talk to members in each of Villanova’s eight panhellenic sororities. Villanova’s sororities Alpha Phi (ΑΦ), Alpha Chi Omega (ΑΧΩ), Alpha Gamma Delta (ΑΓΔ), Chi Omega (ΧΩ), Delta Delta Delta (ΔΔΔ), Delta Gamma (ΔΓ), Kappa Delta (ΚΔ) and Kappa Kappa Gamma (ΚΚΓ) gave interested individuals an opportunity to speak to members and gain insight into the values and personalities of each chapter. 

For new sophomores and juniors in the sororities, Mock Recruitment provided them with an opportunity to experience what in person rush is like, since they have never been through the in person process as a member. Due to the pandemic, the 2021 rush was online, which kept the 2020 and 2021 pledge classes from experiencing recruitment in person. Because of this, several sorority members were relieved to be given the opportunity to talk to Potential New Members (PNMs). Delta Gamma member Vivi Melkonian spoke for new members of the sororities.

“For those of us who haven’t been through in-person recruitment, mock was a great way to get our feet wet,” Melkonian said. “I think we were just as nervous as the PNMs, but it made me really excited for the real thing.”

For Sophomore Kappa Kappa Gamma member Nicole Haddad, Mock Recruitment alleviated stress surrounding the recruitment process. 

“I found mock recruitment to be really beneficial for both sides because as a freshman, I was super nervous to rush,” she said. “This year, I got to see the other side of recruitment and it made me excited for the real process to start. Recruitment can be really stressful for people during their first time on either side of the process because nobody knows what it is going to be like, and being able to prepare for the process alleviates a lot of stress.”

For many, Mock Recruitment was extremely beneficial and made them even more excited for recruitment in January. Kate Mosca, a sophomore member of Kappa Delta, spoke on the success of the event.

“I enjoyed mock recruitment a lot more than I was expecting,” Mosca said. “The energy in the room was so fun and I loved that we were able to meet some people who are planning to rush. It made me very excited for actual rush.” 

Head of Kappa Delta recruitment, Caroline Longworth, spoke for Kappa Delta.

“Mock recruitment was such a great way to get our chapter excited to recruit in person this year,” she said. “I hope the PNMs (Potential New Members) enjoyed their experience, and are looking forward to recruitment in January as much as we are.”

Information for Panhellenic Sorority Rush can be found on Villanova Panhellenic’s website. Rush will be held before syllabus week from Jan. 6-9. Registration for 2022 recruitment closed on Dec. 13, but if you have any questions about the rush process or next year’s rush, contact the the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

Coming spring 2022, Gamma Phi Beta will be joining recruitment as a new sorority on Villanova’s campus. If interested in joining Gamma Phi Beta, visit Villanova Panhellenic’s website and visit the “Chapters” tab. Information about the chapter will be found under “Gamma Phi Beta.”