Women’s Soccer Ends Season With Overtime Win

Claire Chmiel, Staff Writer

This past week, the women’s soccer team finished its season with two Big East Matchups. On Monday April 5, it faced the Providence Friars for the second time this season. In their first competition against the Friars, the Wildcats lost 0-4. However, on Monday, the ‘Cats were able to keep them to just two goals, losing 2-1. Despite the loss, the Wildcats honored the teams’ six seniors in a Senior Day Ceremony. 

The Wildcats were able to keep the Friars scoreless in the first half but later got on board in the 61st minute, with Meg Hughes getting a cross shot and finding the back of the net. Villanova tied the game in the 86th minute when freshman Emma Weaver took a free kick and found Bri Austin in the box. Austin then passed it to Alexa Wojnovich, who netted the ‘Cats first and only goal on Monday. 

Providence’s Birchwell scored the game winner in the 88th minute, putting the Friars up, 2-1. On Monday, the Wildcats took 13 shots and placed six on goal. Additionally, junior goalkeeper Megan McClay finished out the day with 10 saves after notching Big East Goalkeeper of the Week honors earlier in the day. 

On Thursday April 8, the Wildcats competed in their final game of the season against the Seton Hall Pirates. Senior Bri Austin ended her career as a Wildcat strongly, netting the game winner in the 101st minute to lift the Wildcats over the Pirates 2-1. 

Seton Hall got on the board quickly with Cassey Harrigan scoring off a pass from Dani Camilleri in the 14th minute. The Wildcats were able to tie up the game just seconds before halftime. Makayla Stadler dished out a long pass into the middle where Sam Rosette was able to get a header into the goals. 

At the end of regulation, the Wildcats took 19 shots, placing 10 on goal. The game winning goalcame in the opening minute of the second overtime. Brice McInroy passed the ball from the middleto Stadler who was on the far side. Stadler took one touch and sent the ball into the center of thebox. The ball fell to Austin who was able to make the final score 2-1 Villanova. McClay played all101 minutes in goal, finishing with seven saves.

The Wildcats finished the season out with a 3-10-2 overall record and 2-6-2 in Big East play.