All’s Well That Ends Well: Swift’s “All Too Well” Re-Release

Courtesy of Bandwagon Asia

Taylor Swift released the re-recording of her album, “Red” in November.

Abby Faeth, Staff Writer

I’m certain that I’m not the only one who stayed up till midnight on the 12th of November to listen to “Red (Taylor’s Version).” Not only did many students at Villanova pass up their night’s sleep to listen, but I also heard Taylor Swift’s new album echoing through multiple rooms in Sheehan Hall for the week after the release.

As with many other Swifties, my favorite album is “Red.” Additionally, “Red” houses what I believe is Swift’s best song, “All Too Well.” Something that makes Swift’s music unique is that it grows with you. When I was younger, I loved the song “22.” Then, as I grew up and started to have more life experiences, I began to relate to songs like “Begin Again” and “All Too Well.”

This was a bittersweet realization as I realized what Swift was discussing in many of her songs when I went through a breakup. Swift perfectly explained how I felt, even if I did not  know it myself at the time. I began to relate to her in so many new ways.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that “All Too Well” is a special song. This lyrical masterpiece perfectly illustrates what it feels like to have a connection with someone and go through a heartbreak.

There are many breakup songs in the music industry, but I think “All Too Well” is different for a multitude of reasons. The lyrics speak to not only Swift’s individual heartbreak, but also to the complexity of emotions and memories that comes along with every split. The song paints a picture of reminiscence, sadness, desperation, anger and thankfulness. Swift perfectly explores the feelings every young girl has felt in a breakup and how it is messy but also beautiful.

Because of the lyrical prose of this song, Swifties everywhere could barely contain themselves when Taylor announced that she would be releasing a 10-minute version of “All Too Well” in her re-recorded album.

I’ve heard many non-Swift fans question why it is worth releasing the same song again, only longer. It makes sense why she had to cut her original version as it is not common to put this long of a song on an album. The fact that Swift could release a 10-minute song and have people listen, enjoy and practically worship it speaks volumes to her success as an artist.

The new version obviously has many new lyrics in which she originally cut. My roommate thinks that Swift cut out all the necessary lines, which I agree with.

Though there are so many lines in the longer version that are both beautiful and powerful, I think that many of them are specific to Swift and her specific experience with ex-boyfriend Jake Gyllenhaal. In this way, her six-minute version of “All Too Well” was able to reach a wider variety of her audience.

The song gained traction because so many fans could relate to the lyrics. On the other hand, the 10-minute version is almost less sad for the individual as they see the story specifically through Swift’s lens, as the lyrics are deeply personal, rather than putting themselves into the narrative of the song.

What makes “All Too Well” so dynamic and beautiful is the carefully crafted lyrics – both new and old. Below is my list of the best lyrics in “All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version).” Yes, it was hard to narrow it down.

TOP 13 (Taylor’s Lucky Number) LYRICS IN ALL TOO WELL

1.  “You told me ‘bout your past thinking your future was me”

2.  “And you were tossing me the car keys, f**k the patriarchy”

3.  “And I was thinking on the drive down, any time now / He’s gonna say it’s love, you never called it what it was”

4.  “And I know it’s long gone and / There was nothing else I could do / And I forget about you long enough / To forget why I needed to”

5.  “And there we are again when nobody had to know / You kept me like a secret but I kept you like an oath”

6.  “Well maybe we got lost in translation / Maybe I asked for too much / But maybe this thing was a masterpiece / ‘Til you tore it all up”

7.  “And you call me up again / Just to break me like a promise / So casually cruel in the name of being honest”

8.  “They say all’s well that ends well / But I’m in a new hell every time you double-cross my mind”

9.  “You said if we had been closer in age maybe it would have been fine / And that made me want to die”

10. “The idea you had of me, who was she? / A never-needy ever-lovely jewel whose shine reflects on you”

11. “But you keep my old scarf from that very first week / ‘Cause it reminds you of innocence and it smells like me / You can’t get rid of it / ‘Cause you remember it all too well, yeah”

12.“‘Cause there we are again when I loved you so / Back before you lost the one real thing you’ve ever known”

13. “And I was never good at telling jokes but the punch line goes / I’ll get older but your lovers stay my age”