Track teams find success in NYC

Kate McAvey

Everyone was staring at the ‘Cats tails as the men’s and women’s  track and field had a successful performance with record-breaking times at the Armory II for the New York Roadrunners on Saturday night.  This was the third time this season that the team was at the indoor track in New York City. 

The men’s team had seven teammates finish with Big East qualifying times.  In the 3,000-meter run, junior Keith Capecci ran a 8:21.27, coming in seventh place. Villanova dominated the mile run with sophomore Joseph LoRusso finishing first with a qualifying time of 4:06.50. Coming in fifth, freshman Mathew Mildenhall finished with a time of 4:09.69.  In sixth, senior Dan Lewis came in at the 4:10.44 mark. At 4:10.88, junior Hugo Beamish finished ninth.

In field events, junior Robert Sainvil earned fourth place in the triple jump with a jump of 14.66 meters. Freshman Albert Darling came in fifth in the high jump with a jump of 1.99 meters.

When it came to the hurdles, ‘Nova had more Big East qualifiers to add to the list. In the 60-meter hurdles, freshman Nicoy Hines was fifth, coming in at 8.34 seconds with junior Stefan Goodridge right behind him earning sixth, coming in at 8.36. 

Senior Garrett Kroner earned 11th place in the 500-meter with a time of 1:05.60, which earned him his first conference qualifier of the season. 

For the women’s team, who were just as successful on the track, the 3,000-meter team consisted of five members of the NCAA championship cross country team , which helped the team dominate on the track.  Junior Shelia Reid started off the race by running 200 meters in an impressive 34 seconds. It took her 2:54.7 minutes to run the last 1,000 meters, posting a stunning time of 9:04.85.  Her time is currently the best in the nation and also an NCAA automatic qualifying time.  Freshman Bogdana Mimic was another member of the team who earned herself an NCAA automatic qualifying time and currently holds the third fastest time in the nation coming in at 9:07.96. With the sixth best time in the nation, senior Nicole Schappert came in third with a time of 9:14.15.

Junior Amanda Marino posted a time of 9:27.05, coming in seventh, while senior Kaitlyn Tallman came in eighth at 9:31.37. 

Freshman Ariann Neutts ran her personal best in the 800 meter run, coming in at 2:08.65.  In field events, junior Ashlyn Llerandi pole-vaulted a personal best, bringing her to the top of the Big East rankings.