Men’s, women’s tennis struggle

Amy Watkins

The men’s and women’s tennis teams each dropped two matches last weekend as both squads traveled to Georgetown on Friday and returned home to host Connecticut on Sunday.

On the men’s side, Villanova clinched the doubles point by winning at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots.

At No. 3 doubles, junior Trenton Alenik and freshman Connor Witty took an 8-6 decision over Charlie Caris and David Tillem.

At the No. 1 spot, the duo of senior Alex Leeser and junior David Shaheen had to stop play when Georgetown’s Bryan Miller suffered an injury. Miller was forced to retire from the match, handing Villanova its second win.

The Wildcats claimed the doubles advantage but struggled in singles as Alenik, at No. 6, was the only player to earn an individual victory by defeating Rafael Notario (6-4, 6-0).

Although both Leeser and Witty took their opponents to tiebreakers, Leeser fell to Anthony Tan (5-7, 6-3 (10-7)), and Witty was defeated by Will Lowell (6-3, 1-6, 7-6 (5)).

No other Wildcat was victorious, and Georgetown’s domination in singles led to the 5-2 loss for the ‘Cats.

The women’s team had even more trouble battling the Hoyas as it couldn’t find a win in singles and came up with only one in doubles.

Junior Emily Urda and sophomore Allison Solberg had Villanova’s lone victory, edging out Alex Sebia and Alexandra Landers (8-6).

Sophomore Alexandra Harding came close to posting an individual win, but eventually fell (2-6, 6-4 (10-8)).

The rest of the Wildcats were defeated as Georgetown completed the 7-0 sweep.

Hoping to put its losses behind, the Villanova teams ended the weekend with matches against Connecticut, but Sunday unfolded much like Friday did, and both the men and women fell short at the Villanova Tennis Complex.

The men once again secured the first point with victories at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles, but couldn’t hold on in singles and dropped the match 4-3.

At No. 1 doubles, Leeser and Shaheen defeated Andrew Marcus and Scott Warden (8-6).

The pair of Alenik and Witty picked up a win over Tom Cook and Joe Goldstein (9-7), and also defeated the same two Huskies in singles play, as Alenik topped Cook (5-7, 6-0, 1-0) and Witty outlasted  Goldstein (6-2, 2-6, 6-3).

Connecticut dominated at the other four spots as Leeser, Shaheen, sophomore Alex Hanno and sophomore Mike Taylor all went down, allowing the Huskies to win a close contest.

While the men almost rebounded in their second match of the weekend, Sunday ended in another 7-0 sweep for the women.

The Wildcats were winless as Connecticut never gave up control en route to the victory.

In doubles, the pairs of Solberg and senior Courtney Reed, Solberg and Erda, and sophomore Michele Jordan and junior Kate Monari all fell.

The Huskies easily finished the job in singles play, and Villanova posted its second loss.

The match against Connecticut marked the end of the Big East season for the men who will now wait to hear if they are invited to participate in the conference championship.Big East play continues for the women, who will host West Virginia at the Villanova Tennis Complex tomorrow.