Track finds success at Larry Ellis Invitational

Kate McAvey

It was a busy weekend for the men’s and women’s track teams as they tore up the track at the Larry Ellis Invitational in Princeton, N.J. and the Widener Invitational in Chester, Pa.

For the men’s team, junior Carl Mackenzie won the 1500-meter with a Big East qualifying time of 3:44.37. He was followed by sophomore Mat Mildenhall with a time of 3:45.97, who finished fourth.

When it came to the 800-meter run, senior Cody Harper finished seventh, clocking in at 1:50.76. Junior Jason Apwah was right behind him in eighth with a qualifying time of 1:51.48.

In the 5000-meter run, ‘Nova had four team members finish with conference qualifying times.  Junior Brian Long finished in seventh place, followed by senior Daniel Lewis.  Senior Bobby Papazian finished 12th, followed by sophomore Matthew Kane.

At the Widener Invitational on Saturday, freshman Nicoy Hines won his section of the 400-meter hurdles, impressively finishing with a time of 53.94. In the high jump, freshman Curran Darling finished first when he cleared a season high of 2.04 meters.

For the women, at the Larry Ellis Invitational, senior Ellen Dougherty earned herself a Big East qualifying time in the 1500-meter run when she clocked in at 4:25.64, finishing third.  Teammate and junior Ali Smith finished 11th with a  time of 4:33.39. In the 3000-meter steeplechase, junior Sarah Morrison finished 12th, clocking in at 11:00.42 to qualify for the conference championships. 

On Saturday at Widener in the 400-meter dash, sophomore Christie Verdier won her section with a time of 56.82. In the 200-meter dash, sophomore Ashley Dunbar finished second in her section with a time of 25.38. In the 100-meter dash, freshman Leah Ray finished with a time of 12.48, winning her section.

When it came to field events, junior Audrey Gariepy-Boqui won the high jump with a season-best jump of 1.73 meters. Junior Erica Reijula won the long jump, jumping 5.40 meters. Freshman Marie Minasi won the triple jump with a mark of 11.01 meters. 

In the javelin, sophomore Julia Arduini won with an impressive 40.54 meter throw. In the pole vault, junior Ashlyn Llerandi earned second place, clearing 3.8 meters. 

This weekend is a big one for the running Wildcats when both the men’s and women’s teams head to the 115th Penn Relays Carnival, starting today at Franklin Field in Philadelphia.