Volleyball takes Villanova Classic, extends winning streak to 9 games

Kate McAvey

The volleyball team is unstoppable this season. The team extended its win streak to nine games this weekend and won the Villanova Classic for the fourth year in a row.

The women conquered Maryland 3-2 (25-18, 22-25, 25-20, 23-25, 15-12), swept Long Island 3-0 (25-12, 25-5, 25-15) and dominated William & Mary 3-0 (25-19, 25-21, 25-15). Sophomore Morgan Petkovich and freshman Alyssa Anderson earned all-tournament honors, and junior Maggie Mergen was named MVP.

The first match of the tournament was nothing less than exciting on Friday night when Villanova opened the classic against the Maryland Terrapins.

The ‘Cats took the first set 25-18, but the Terps won the second frame 25-22.

The third frame was another close one. ‘Nova came out strong to start the match, taking a 6-3 lead. At nine, the teams were tied, and both teams stayed neck-and-neck.

The Terrapins were forced to use their final timeout when they were down 20-16. However, ‘Nova did not give up, and an error by the Terps gave the Wildcats the final point for the win.

After Maryland took the next set, it came down to game five to decide the winner. Both teams came out fighting, and it was a tie game at seven a piece. ‘Nova was able to gain a 12-11 lead.

Maryland was able to ace one final kill to become within one of ‘Nova but a kill by Mergen, and an error on the Terps, sealed the win for the Wildcats, sending Maryland packing.

‘Nova’s next opponent was an easy match to conquer on Saturday afternoon. Villanova came out ready to beat Long Island getting on the board fast and earning a 8-4 lead before the Blackbirds took their first time out. With big kills from Mergen, freshman Allison Williams and Petkovich, the ‘Cats were able to defeat the Blackbirds 25-12.

The Wildcats were able to take the second frame in the same fashion. ‘Nova came out fast with a quick 6-1 lead. Before long the game was over with a kill from Williams making the score 22-4.

The final frame was dominated by the ‘Cats as well. With a 13-8 lead sophomore Kristina Bither served five consecutive aces to extend the lead to 18-8.

With game point on the line for the ‘Cats at 24-15, Anderson spiked a final kill to end the set and the game.

The final game on Saturday evening was a matchup against William & Mary.

The ‘Cats got on the board early with a quick 10-5 lead. William & Mary was able to respond fast and took the lead forcing Villanova into a time out. Anderson and Petkovich were able to find the floor sealing the 25-19 win to start the game.

In the second frame it was the Tribe that got on the board first. Ahead by one point, 15-14, the Tribe took their first timeout. It was neck-and-neck from that point on. Villanova was able to take a 21-19 lead and continue rolling to beat William & Mary 25-21.

The final and third frame started out close with three ties opening the set. After a timeout by ‘Nova they were able to dominate the court and were victorious with a score of 25-15.

The next battle for the volleyball is comes when the Wildcats open the Big East Conference season against St. Johns tomorrow night at 7 p.m.