Students protest campus parking restrictions

Kirsten Errick

Campus-wide construction projects have recently come to a head, contributing to limited parking options for students, faculty and staff. Circling Main Lot waiting for a vacant spot or making the walk from South Campus has become a daily routine for students who commute from off-campus housing.

The parking and construction on campus is a complex, multi-tiered project. The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT), Radnor Township and the University each contributed to project plants.

The Pike Lot garage is due to open in Jan, 2017 and will accommodate 1,300 cars. The current lot accommodates 1,700 cars. To account for the extra 400 cars, two stories were added to the SAC garage and the surface lot is available by Moriarty Hall.

In compliance with PennDOT and to create a more uniform parking system with the state and country, the University is converting the parking system to a wayfinding parking system, with computer generated signs to alert drivers to parking availability and alternative lots. As a result, there is more signage around campus. Parking signs read A-1, A-2, A-3 on main campus and on west campus there are W-1, and W-2 lots. This system creates an easier way to find parking spots, improves traffic circulation and works with the blue route.

Plans are in place for upcoming events on campus. During the Parent’s Weekend tailgate this past Saturday more than 400 cars were parked by 12:30 p.m., when the lot was originally slated to open. Once Main Lot was full, cars were directed to SAC parking. The University also leased the SEPTA lot, where 125 cars were able to park for tailgating. Changes were also made on the fly, with parking lots by the Law School, Garey, and Mendel opened for tailgating.

On the St. Thomas of Villanova Day of Service on Sept. 24, 85 buses will pas through the gate to Lancaster Avenue. The loading process should is expected to last an hour and Radnor Police will help with the lights and ease the loading process.

Plans are also in place for the 2017 Move-In Day next year, with some adjustments made based on past years. Scheduled move is broken into 45-minute increments, with incoming students obtaining a hang-tag for the front of their vehicles to indicate their residence hall. Parking attendants have been hired. Next year students and their families will unload their car by their respective dorm buildings and the attendants will direct cars to where they should permanently park. 

“We will be implementing a planned parking spot for basketball ticket holders, homecoming and other major events,” Chris Kovolski, Assistant Vice President for Government Relations and External Affairs, said. “This will allow us to have a better idea of how many cars are coming and create a more orderly system to direct cars. We are working with Radnor Police to streamline the way traffic gets in and out of the garage. There will be a new driveway to access the lot and ease traffic onto Lancaster Avenue.”

Students may see the North Campus Parking garage, commonly referred to as the Law School garage, as an opportunity for students to park on the top level; however, that is not allowed. Last year, the top level of the North Campus parking garage, commonly referred to as the Law School garage, was used as overflow.

In the past, Communication students with classes in Garey Hall were allowed to park in the top. This policy was discontinued, and now only faculty and staff from the law school, Garey Hall and law school students who pay to have a parking pass for that parking garage, are the only ones allowed to use that lot. With new administrative offices in Garey and a larger freshmen law school class, it will remain parking for faculty, staff and law students only.

Student who frequent Garey Hall for Communications classes protested this new policy. Senior Communications major Katherine Tangney created the Facebook group, “Garey Parking Protest,” inviting peers to share their experiences.

“This group is an open forum,” Tangney wrote. “Please post any/all ideas to improve our parking situation and exercise our rights as Villanovans, but more importantly as Communications experts.” The group has reached 68 students.

Senior Communications major Kerry Caufield wrote, “I just had to park behind the SPIT for my 1 pm class in Garey Hall. The woman in the garage by Garey told me I wasn’t allowed to park there and now I will be 20 minutes late for class. It is quite possibly the hottest day of the year and my education is being compromised by the injustice that is Public Safety. We must do something, this must end.”

Many students in the Facebook forum 

Many students in the Facebook forum expressed that they have reached out to parking and maintenance administrators via email and have received no response. Some students claim they have written more than once.

“How is it fair that we are not allowed to use a lot that is not even full, for our convenience?” Tangney said. “Every other major is allowed to park in a lot that is a reasonable distance from their buildings. Why should we have to pay $100 to park in a lot that is irrelevant to our situation? Why can’t we, as certified Communications majors, use the practically empty lot directly next to the Communication building?”

For other students, parking woes add to other inconveniences attached to living off campus.

“When contemplating which college to attend as a high school senior, I remember putting into consideration that Villanova didn’t offer four year housing, knowing that would mean I’d need my car to get around,” said Julie Piscina, a senior Communication major.

Some students have chosen to uber to campus, or catch rides with friends to avoid the hassle of spot-searching. Senior Communication major, Morgan Lamb, admitted, “I even bought a Law School bumper sticker in hopes of blending in.”

Villanova University Parking and Transportation staff insists the Wildcat Shuttle system offers a solution to this problem.

Dennis Gallagher, Director of Parking and Transportation, said the frustrations of students have been heard.

“What we’re doing now: we have LAZ parking attendants to assist us to get people into spaces and we have people checking main lot hourly,” Gallagher said.

“We are pushing for a pedestrian campus. My staff is doing a heck of a job trying to implement and accommodate parking for faculty, staff and students. We appreciate everyone’s cooperation.”