Main Line Holds Health Professions Expo

Corinna Vlahoyiannis

Villanova University and St. Joseph’s University hosted the Philadelphia/Main Line Health Professions School Expo in Villanova’s Connelly Center as an opportunity for students to meet representatives from graduate medical programs, test prep companies and medical scribe companies. 

“Students enjoyed the diversity of programs,” Dr. Louise Russo, Director of Health Profession Advising and organizer of the expo, said, “They focus so much on pre-med population which is important, but the fair brought a full range of pre-health profession interests.” 

Last spring the inaugural  expo, held at St. Joseph’s University, hosted 50 program and 250 registered students.  This year the event grew to 75 programs and over 400 registered students from 20 schools.

Carolyn Reapero ’20, said that, “as a pre-dental student” she values this “exposure to dental schools, [as] how she can know more about them and [gain] experience talking to people from [these] schools.” 

“It is important that we have [the expo] because there are not too many opportunities where all the area schools get together,”  Hannah Weiss ‘20 said.

The expo also hosted a panel lecture event featured a panel of medical school admission representatives, admissions representatives and diversity program directors, who spoke about diversifying medicine and how best to promote diversity in healthcare and admissions.  

The featured speaker, Kent Bottles, M.D. was cancelled because of the snow, but would have spoke on changes in U.S. healthcare system. 

“So many students are undecided in their health profession,” said Russo, “so the Expo gives such students  an opportunity to speak with program representatives to see which would be a best fit for them.”