Connelly Center Employees Deserve a Break Room

Conn+serves+as+the+center+of+Villanovas+campus+and+many+of+Villanovas+employees%2C+and+student+workers%2C+work+there.+
Brian Luppy / Villanovan Photography
Conn serves as the center of Villanova’s campus and many of Villanova’s employees, and student workers, work there.

On March 18, the Villanova Global Social Justice Initiative launched a petition that calls attention to the need for a break room in the Connelly Center. In this petition, the group cites how, although many of the Conn employees provide the Villanova community with comfort and contribute to the well-being of the student body, they are not afforded these same luxuries. Without a break room, which is standard in most workplaces, many employees are forced to spend what is supposed to be their moment’s respite from the constant frenzy of Conn resting amongst the same students they had served minutes earlier. 

The Villanova Global Social Justice Initiative is a group primarily concerned with tackling social justice issues. While often these issues can appear quite large and daunting, the students within this group are focused on tackling them at a local level. Being part of a community that is deeply rooted in Augustinian values, members of this group seek to engage with issues that directly impact all members of the Villanova community. 

Because workers’ rights is a persisting global social justice issue, this group decided to tackle this matter at Villanova. With this information, it figured an ideal starting point would be Conn, as it is the center of campus and serves as the workplace for many of Villanova’s employees. 

“The people who we interact with at Conn are the heart at the school, so we wanted to give back to them,” Samuel Rowland, Secretary of the group, said. “As a school community, we often just think about how the students are being affected by issues. But I think it’s important that we include Villanovans in this conversation as well, as they are also a part of this community. Villanova students also work at Conn, so it is important to show that we value them as well.” 

Villanova makes strong and usually successful initiatives to uphold its core values of Caritas, Unitas and Veritas with activities like Day of Service, Special Olympics and NOVAdance being pillars of many students’ Villanova experience. These activities encourage and ignite students’ sense of volunteerism and sense of giving back. Thus, it seems almost instinctive for students to want to address issues right here on campus. And that support is shown in the number of signatures the petition has received. Currently, the petition stands at 641 signatures, showing how it is more than just a point of concern for those involved with the Villanova Global Social Justice Initiative. It speaks to the point that it is important when trying to display values like “Unitas” for example (meaning unity) that Villanovans include all members of the community into the conversation and find ways to better ourselves in all parts of the community. 

While the Villanova community is certainly strong and typically is the beacon for values of service and respect, we as a community still have places for growth. The Villanova Global Social Justice Initiative brings awareness to these issues, through means like this petition. 

Rowland echoed this sentiment. 

“We as concerned Villanovans cannot stand idly by and let nothing happen.” 

He encouraged all students to sign the petition and express their continued support for this issue to administration. 

To stay updated on this matter and hear about other issues the group strives to tackle, follow @nova_gsji on Instagram.