Golf Finishes Ninth at Golden Horseshoe Intercollegiate

Villanova finished ninth of 12 at the Golden Horseshoe Intercollegiate.

Villanova men’s golf competed at the Golden Horseshoe Intercollegiate in Williamsburg, Virginia. The two-day tournament spanned March 25 and 26. 

On day one, the Wildcats ended up finishing in seventh out of 12 schools. On day two, the Wildcats finished tied for ninth out of 12 schools. 

Head coach James Wilkes was looking for a better outcome, but was still optimistic with the direction of the team in the coming weeks.

“The finish was disappointing, we had injuries, and our young guys had to step up,” Wilkes said. “Great group of guys. They work very hard, killing it in the weight room and staying ahead of coursework.”

One highlight of the weekend was sophomore Ryan Pamer. On day one, Pamer finished 3 over par (74) and 3 under (68) in round two. Pamer took his play into day two of the tournament shooting even (71) and finishing sixth overall on the leaderboard to end the tournament.

“Ryan finished top 10, played solidly the entire time,” Wilkes said. “He’s one of our bright young players.”

Another spotlight was junior Jackson Lehner who shot four over (75) on day two, finishing 33rd overall for the tournament. 

As the team reflects on their performance at the Golden Horseshoe Intercollegiate, they look forward to building upon their strengths and addressing areas for improvement in future competitions. With two tournaments to go in the season the Wildcats look to get ready for the Wildcat Spring Invitational and the Big East Championship. 

“Clean up some of the mistakes, a couple of weeks of full practices and control,” Wilkes said. “The guys have a great feel for the Wildcat and the Big East Championship. All of our guys will be healthy for the Wildcat. We have a great mix of seniors and grad students and we can lean on them and young guys like [Pamer] when we’ve had success.”