Men’s Lacrosse Defeats Navy, 14–7

Four Wildcats earned Big East Weekly Honors going into the contest against Navy: Senior attack Matt Licata, graduate faceoff Justin Coppola, redshirt freshman attack Colin Michener, and graduate long stick midfielder Stephen Zupicich.

On Tuesday, March 19, Villanova (5-3) defeated Navy (4-4) in Annapolis, MD, 14-7. 

Four Wildcats earned Big East Weekly Honors going into the contest.

Senior attack Matt Licata was awarded Big East Player of the Week, graduate faceoff Justin Coppola earned Big East Specialist of the Week, and redshirt freshman attack Colin Michener received Big East Freshman of the Week. Graduate long stick midfielder Stephen Zupicich also earned a place on the Big East Weekly Honor Roll.

Villanova took the momentum of Saturday’s 12–11 win over Monmouth into the road matchup against Navy.

Michener opened the first period with a wicked shot to the back of the net, putting Villanova up 1–0. 

Navy responded shortly after to tie the game, 1-1. 

Graduate attack Thomas McIntire put one in the back of the net to put Villanova back in the lead, but not long after, Navy tied the game again 2-2. 

Licata and Michener combined for a goal from Licata to make the score 3-2. 

Junior midfield Tyler Boes added to the scoring to put Villanova up by two. 

Even though the Cats’ made five turnovers in the first period, they ended the opening period up 4-2. 

Zupicich continued the Cats’ streak to make the score 5-2 early in the second period. 

Navy used Villanova’s turnovers to their advantage, as they found the back of the net twice, to tighten the score 5-4. 

Junior attack Dan Martin added to the scoreboard to make the score 6-4. 

Freshman midfielder Nicholas Lucchesi juked a Navy defender to send one firing to the back of the net, giving the Cats’ a three goal lead. 

Michener added another to his name, increasing Villanova’s lead to four goals.

Another goal came from Licata, as he found the top right corner, extending the Cats’ lead, 9-4. 

Just before the end of the half, Luchessi found the back of the net again, sending Villanova into the locker room up 10-4. 

Redshirt freshman attack Lucas Newton opened the second half with a goal, leading Villanova 11-4. 

McIntire found the back of the net to continue the Cats’ goal streak, extending its lead to eight goals. 

Navy finally gets back on the scoreboard to make the score 12-5 in the third period. 

In the fourth quarter, Navy found the back of the net first, cutting the Villanova lead. 

Shortly after, McIntire gets his third goal of the night, making the score 13-6.

With five minutes remaining, Navy got past Villanova, changing the scoreboard to 13-7.

Villanova finished off the game with a goal from Licata, sealing the victory over Navy 14-7.

Men’s lacrosse is back in action on Monday, March 25, when it faces off against Brown in Providence, RI at 3 p.m.