Water Polo Starts Conference Play 2–1

This past weekend, Villanova began MAAC play with wins over Siena College and Iona, and a loss to Marist College.

The Wildcats played their first slate of conference games this past weekend, finishing 2–1 in tight contests. 

Coming off a dominant, 20-6 victory over Salem University on March 9, Villanova had a week of preparation in attempts to get off to a strong start in MAAC play. The team traveled to Lexington, Virginia to take on Siena College, Marist College and Iona University.

The Wildcats emerged from the weekend with an 18–5 overall record.

The swim-off began at 5 p.m. on March 16 against Siena, and Villanova earned a tight, 12-9 win. 

The collaborative effort was essential in the victory, as sophomore center Ella Mattocks and junior center Emily McKenzie both recorded hat tricks. Senior captain Stella Byles was also productive in the stat sheet, recording another hat trick and three assists. 

Sara Withers tallied a goal and assist, and freshmen Lauren Short and Tiffany Maguire each contributed a goal in the victory. A stifling defensive effort rewarded senior goalie Abigail Shelby as she recorded the win with six saves and three steals in the match.

The following day, Villanova returned to action to face Marist, falling by one. 

Byles led the team in goals, recording another hat trick. However, the ‘Cats struggled to capitalize on the chances they created, as they launched 23 shots at the goal.

Head coach Michael Gordon emphasized defensive contributions across the weekend.

“Our defense and goalie play came up big for us,” head coach Michael Gordon said. “On the offensive end, we had some high-powered quarters, but need to find ways to score throughout all four quarters of play to put together complete games as we continue in conference play this season.”

The ‘Cats responded well to the loss. They regrouped against Iona in the second game on March 17, winning, 10–7. The defensive effort was well-felt, as Villanova picked up five steals in the victory. 

Shelby recorded another victory, tallying seven saves. It was another collaborative effort on the offensive side, as four Wildcats scored two goals each. Looking to ramp up their offensive production while maintaining the defensive energy, the Wildcats look to continue building up momentum to finish out the next three weeks of conference play strong. 

“We are right in line with our expectations and control our own path to the conference championship tournament,” Gordon said. “We are a tough, resilient and hardworking team that continues to improve each game. Hard work and good vibes have contributed to our team success.”

Villanova will next travel to Staten Island, NY for another MAAC game against Wagner College on Saturday, March 23. The following day, the team will face two more conference opponents, LIU and Virginia Military Institute, in Brooklyn, NY.