Women’s Swim & Dive Clinches 11th Straight Big East Championship

The women’s swim and dive team earned its 11th Big East Championship title in a row, finishing with 1482.5 points on March 3.

Villanova women’s swim and dive secured its 11th straight Big East conference championship win on March 3, finishing with 1482.5 points. 

The men ended the tournament in third, just over one point behind Seton Hall’s 578.5 points, for the second year in a row. 

The teams traveled to the Natatorium at IUPUI in Indianapolis, ID, where they competed against seven Big East rivals. The Villanova women’s win at the legendary pool is one of 16 total conference championship wins in program history since 1992. 

Senior Audrey Pastorek had the first win of the day for the ‘Cats, securing a gold medal for her time of 1:55.48 in the 200 backstroke. Pastorek secured this win in back-to-back years, shaving four seconds off her best time from last season. Pastorek was also recognized as the Big East’s Co-Most Outstanding Swimmer, becoming the fifth Villanovan to secure this title in back-to-back years.

Along with the swimmers’ accomplishments throughout the weekend, the diving team set its own records. 

Junior Nicholas Jubilee was named Men’s Co-Most Outstanding Diver after taking home the gold by 0.2 points in the men’s one-meter dive. Jubilee is the sixth Wildcat to receive this recognition in program history. 

In addition to an outstanding overall team performance, several individual swimmers broke both personal and school records during the busy weekend of competition. 

The mile proved to be a strong event for the Wildcats, with freshman Marlene Blanke beating her personal best by 17 seconds and securing a silver in the event. 

On the men’s side of the 1650 free, senior Charlie Hinkley and sophomore Patrick Casey took seventh and eighth, respectively, for all-time fastest finishes in Villanova history. Hinkley finished fourth and Casey took ninth in the race, scoring important points for the team. 

Senior Nolan Danus also earned bronze in the 200 fly, setting a Villanova record with a time of 1:46.90.

Villanova fought hard for the 21-point win, as they trailed behind UConn for much of the weekend. By the 200 backstroke, the ‘Cats were 41.5 points behind the Huskies, but maintained a solid lead following the 200 butterfly. The 200 fly put Villanova 17 points ahead. 

Although the Huskies remained close behind, the ‘Cats strong performance in the back half of the meet was crucial in securing this monumental win.