VillaVogue : A Guide to the “Wrong Shoe Theory”

Consider upgrading your style this spring with wide leg jeans and a pair of ballet flats.
Maggie Fitzgerald/Villanovan Photography

Want to elevate your wardrobe with one easy step? Then, let’s discuss what is arguably the most controversial trend to hit social media platforms this past year: the “Wrong Shoe Theory.” Stylist Allison Bornstein coined this term in a video she posted on TikTok last fall. Her proposal was to choose an unexpected shoe to complete any outfit, giving it more edge. 

When it comes to fashion, there are a variety of techniques one can use to update their style, but this hack is especially effortless because it does not require you to purchase anything new; all you have to do is grab a pair of shoes from the back of the closet that would not have been a first preference. Take a look in the mirror and voila.

Bornstein utilized the concept of adding a mismatched accessory to an outfit as a way to help constantly update your look, create an interesting vibe and to show true personality. 

Below is a beginner guide full of outfit ideas to inspire you with ways you can accomplish this trend.

1. Wide-leg jeans and ballet flats. 

This look is your safest option if you are just starting your journey in wearing unconventional shoes. Ballet flats are a staple shoe that I recommend everyone invest in. Kendall Jenner has been embodying the Wrong Shoe Theory with her slingback ballet flats, put together with puddle jeans and a basic tank top. There are plenty of affordable options, but some of the top brands include The Row, Miu Miu, J.Crew and Gucci. Delicately fabulous. 

1. Tailored trousers and flip-flops. 

Flip-flops add a casual, comfortable element to an elegant tailored trouser. A traditional shoe to couple with this look would be a classic heel or even a loafer, but having this theory in mind changes the game. Fashion icon Ashley Olsen never fails to stand out in a crowded room with her show-stopping outfits and lately, her perplexing shoe choice has been a pair of black flip-flops. Even deep into the winter season, Olsen tends to style her large trench coat, wide-leg trousers, scarf and gloves with this summertime regular shoe choice.

1. Formal dress/maxi skirt and sneakers. 

If you are anything like me, you cannot stay in high heels, wedges or any nice pair of sandals for longer than an hour without being in pain and wanting to throw on your favorite pair of sneakers. This instance of the Wrong Shoe Theory will assist you with just that.

1. Athleisure and heeled boots. 

Athleisure is a combination of comfort and sporty, such as yoga pants with an oversized jacket. Anyone would assume the “right” shoe for the job is a pair of casual sneakers, however, heeled boots are a stealthier choice that add an extra bit of pizazz. The new Rosie thing heeled booties are a tasteful choice for this scheme. 

1. Denim and Tabi shoes. 

Maison Margiela’s Tabi shoes have always been a consumer favorite. Specifically, the Japanese-inspired black cleft-toe shoe has been a trending commodity to pair with denim blue jeans. Some may say this design is a little too uncanny, but musical artist Dua Lipa would disagree, as she has been elevating her jeans and basic white shirt with a pair of black leather Tabi Mary Janes.

Who knew a mismatched shoe would have so much power? This trend has helped to build a newfound encouragement for people to defy unconventional fashion “rules” and take chances to improve their style. A risky direction to take? Potentially. However, embracing creativity and enhancing individuality is an extremely captivating tactic in the fashion industry. Intentionally creating contrast through unconventional pairings invites people to challenge fashion norms.