Villanova Falls to Yale 13–11

Senior attack man Matt Licata scored three goals in Villanova’s 13–11 loss to Yale on Feb. 17, earning him a spot on the Big East Weekly Honor Role.

On Saturday, Feb. 17, Villanova (0-2) suffered a tight 13–11 loss to Yale (1-0) in its second game of the season. 

Senior attack man Matt Licata scored four goals for the Wildcats. 

The Bulldogs jumped out to an early lead, scoring two goals in the first few minutes. However, redshirt freshman attack Colin Michener responded with two goals shortly after, including a phenomenal backhand finish amid three Yale defenders. 

Yale increased its lead to 3-2, but junior attack Luke Raymond tied the game with a wicked shot into the left side of the goal. 

Despite these efforts, Villanova entered the second period down, 5-3. 

In the second period, Licata and senior midfielder Mason Reale each scored, but the Bulldogs pulled away the lead by four when they scored two goals in 10 seconds, ending the half, 9-5. 

Villanova was outshot 29-13 in the first half.

The Cats’ showed up in the second half, as they went on a 5-0 scoring run to tie the game after Yale went up, 10-5, early in the third quarter. Three goals came from Licata, one from Raymond and one from freshman attack Nicholas Luchessi to even the score. 

In the fourth quarter, the Bulldogs scored early, but sophomore midfielder Luke Williams contributed to the ‘Cats’ efforts quickly after, when he picked up a ground ball in the midfield and took it all the way down field to put it in the back of the net. 

However, Yale prevailed by scoring two more goals to finish off the game.

Licata was awarded a Big East Weekly Honor Roll mention for his team high four goals in this match. 

Villanova will have its home opener against Colgate on Saturday, Feb 24. at 12 p.m. at Villanova Stadium.