Villanova Marriage Pact: Will You Meet Your Match?

Courtesy of Olivia Dupre
Olivia Dupre pictured with her match and now longtime boyfriend, Ethan Brown.

Villanova is commonly depicted as a place to meet one’s partner, according to a famous statistic (or myth) on campus claiming that 70% of Villanovans marry someone from Villanova. The “Marriage Pact” might just lead you to finding your special someone and becoming part of the 70%. This week, the school has been abuzz with chatter surrounding the Marriage Pact. But what exactly is it? 

The Marriage Pact is a nationwide platform that sends out a quiz to each participating school. It is a 50-question quiz regarding one’s values, preferences and relationship non-negotiables. This year, the database received more than 3,000 submissions by Villanova students longing to find their so-called “soulmate” on Lancaster Avenue. 

“I signed up because I felt everyone else on campus was, and I was interested in seeing what it was,” freshman Jackson Dollenberg said.

Word of the tradition spread quickly this semester, with tales of past matches passed down from upperclassmen to eager freshmen. Participants received an email last Thursday night with a “hint” of who their partner would be, including the first and last initial of their intended match. While potentially subject to change, this heightened the anticipation of impending results. Matches came out this past Monday at 10:30pm, sending participants further into a frenzy.

Due to a disproportionate amount of female participants, matches are not guaranteed to be romantic. The algorithm can also generate a platonic match based on survey answers. Junior Anna Callahan is a loyal Marriage Pact participant who has received a variety of results.

“I heard about it my freshman year because a bunch of my friends were talking about it,” Callahan said. “I signed up for it and I have done it all three years. The first year I signed up late, so I got a friend-match because there weren’t enough participants. Sophomore year, I matched with a guy and we just followed each other on Instagram. This year, I filled it out and am waiting to hear back.” 

Some, like Callahan, never end up connecting with their platonic or potentially romantic matches. For others it has sparked a budding romance. Junior, Olivia Dupre, was matched with her current boyfriend Ethan Brown through the pact. A walking success story, the pair have been dating for almost two years all due to the quiz. 

“[I] probably would have never met him if I didn’t get him as my Marriage Pact [match],” Dupre said. 

After all, the Marriage Pact is not for 100% compatibility, and there is no guarantee of a perfect match. While you may not find your future soulmate, this quiz surely generates a buzz of excitement and anticipation during Spring Semester. You may meet a new friend or find your future spouse, so why not take the chance of true love and fill it out? If you missed your chance this year, consider participating in years to come. If you were fortunate enough to receive a match, why not ‘drop them a line’? What’s there to risk if you could potentially be part of the 70%?